PDA

View Full Version : Corfu procedures

tubby linton
19th Jul 2011, 07:30
Who decided that Corfu needed so many SID/STARS? There must now be more than twenty of each The approach procedures now also have some very extended go around procedures as well.Unfortunately they have done nothing about improving the available navigation aids or making the runway any smoother,or even investing in some bird scaring equipment.The standard of atc is still poor and causes confusion and delays.All in all not my favourite airport.

5 RINGS
19th Jul 2011, 08:07
just ask for visual approach or VMC departure and enjoy the view.

keep your speed in check, that will keep your EGPWS silent.

tubby linton
19th Jul 2011, 08:25
Corfu is a beautiful island,but I just cannot see the reason for all of these new procedures.They probably have more sid/star now than some major london airports put together.They did the same to Rhodes a few years ago but at least on that island you have a nice long runway and reasonable aids.

fireflybob
19th Jul 2011, 14:01
Sounds like the aids at CFU haven't changed much since I last visited in the early 1990s. Is it still the offset VOR/DME approach off KRK then?

I often used to muse then that if HKG could have an IGS with offset, why couldn't they do the same at CFU? Nothing like arriving there in the early night hours with the stratus over the bay!

Airbus_a321
19th Jul 2011, 15:44
welcome to greek airspace. its like all the country. nothing but just producing chao$.
its nothing but UNSAFE :mad:
and ...the smaller the airfiields, the more complex the flight procedures. check other small GREEK island. its the same. :yuk:

tubby linton
19th Jul 2011, 16:00
They have a few more approaches now based on the same selection of aids but the minima is still very high~ 2000ft cmv 5000m. A light aircraft departed off 17 recently with a very low climb rate and the female controller told him to proceed to the west side of the island to allow a commercial departure.There was no way he was going to clear the terrain unless he proceeded much further south to the less lumpy bits but the atco had no idea about the performance capabilities of the light single and was getting quite cross with the pilot. in the mean time all departures were halted.
All of the new procedures just complicate matters and I do not think that the local atcos are capable of using them..

oceancrosser
19th Jul 2011, 23:26
Been to Barcelona recently? I think they have about 150 SIDS (17 or 18 pages in the FMS iirc). Ridiculous.