PDA

View Full Version : Cones Hotline

overstress
5th Nov 2000, 01:07
Can anyone shed any light on the rationale behind the cones. I mean the cones which have recently begun to appear during turnrounds on the apron by each wingtip and in front of the engine intakes. Do people seriously think that if a vehicle driver cannot see a 64 tonne aeroplane, he will see and avoid a cone? Surely it is only a matter of time before one of these cones is ingested and trashes a multi-million dollar engine.

I was always taught that extraneous matter should be kept away from aircraft. They even had a word for it - FOD!

Buzzoff
5th Nov 2000, 05:41
Do you also have the plastic chain that is unreeled from the aft door around the wingtip?

This is just too low (I am 6ft 2in.) for me to see when looking up at wings etc on the walk round, and I know, I just know that sooner or later I am going to trip over this thing and fall flat on my face in front of all the passengers looking out of the Terminal's windows. :)

Georgeablelovehowindia
5th Nov 2000, 15:12
The type I fly has been struck so many times by various ground vehicles that the fleet manager is considering painting roundels on it give them a better aim!

HugMonster
5th Nov 2000, 18:44
If most Servisair drivers were to aim at the aircraft, they'd hit the terminal... or maybe that's your boss's general intention? :)