PDA

View Full Version : Subjects taken at A-Level and Uni

ian_737
5th Nov 2000, 00:27
Hi there everyone!
Ok, I'm really keen to go for a job in comercial aviation and my ultimate goal is to fly the airlines. I just have a few questions which would help me out greatly. Ok, the 1st one is........What are the most common subjects taken at A-level when going for a airline job? The 2nd......What are the most common subjects taken at uni when going for the same job??
Anyone who could answer me here would be a great help to me! :-)
Thanks!
Also! If Matthew Harrision from Air Nova, Hawarden sees this message I just want to say hi!!
Ian.

rhythm method
5th Nov 2000, 04:30
Ian, you need no A-levels at all to pursue a career in aviation, but a couple of wheelbarrows of cash would come in handy!!! I know several captains with no qualifications whatsoever. Personally I'd say mathematics, physics or similar subjects, a university qualification definitely not needed. Where it may come in handy is to help convince the bank manager that you've got the intelligence to succeed. I stuck to engineering subjects, and of course it looks nice on the CV, but you'll probably never need to know any of it again!!!

I would say though that the financial pain is worth it in the end... it's the best job in the world, and I could never see myself going back to the daily grind unless I lose my medical and can find no other options in aviation.

Best of luck.

------------------
Time Flies Like an Arrow
Fruitflies like a banana?

Buzzoff
5th Nov 2000, 05:20
A degree in shorthand helps - or at least an ability to write very, very quickly!

I am only half joking as well!

ian_737
5th Nov 2000, 20:10
Thanks very much for the info!
All i need to do now is rob a bank!! Naa, really, all the information i get of this network of you guys/gals is all a great help. Thanks again!
Are you two pilots??

rob99
5th Nov 2000, 23:38
Hello Ian,

If you get a degree then you will probably be able to get a job with earns a more money and this will help you

1 Save

2 Have a fall back plan

Do you like computers .. A degree in Computer Science is nice to have. You will be able to get a decent job which pays well, and it prooves you have a technical mind, and if you were to lose your license or fail a medical then you will have a decent job too.

What country are you a resident of ? Have you sought a Class 1 Medical ?

Rob99.

ian_737
6th Nov 2000, 00:28
Hi Rob,
I'm only 16 so I haven't obtained a Class 1 medical yet, I'm just trying to find out as much info as I can, as early as i can.
I'm interested in computer associated subjects so computer science sounds good. Do you do it? If so, is it difficult?
Thanks for you info!
Ian

VFE
6th Nov 2000, 00:33
Hi ian_737,
Welcome to the club! I was in the same shoes as yourself at first. I have posted a few threads worth of questions on here recently and the general jist of what I gathered was that if you've got dosh then you're half the way there.
A-levels and/or a degree are needed to pursue sponsorship with an airline but those who have both and maybe nore still find it extremely difficult to get it. I believe the statistics are something like 1000 applicants to 1 place on British Midland sponsorships, this is no doubt higher for BA!
I was faced with the choice of getting my backside back to college and doing the required exams and then going for sponsorship (by which time I'd be too old for most of them) or brushing up at home and paying for myself to get the licence. I have chosen the latter route.
If you're still at school and yet to do the A-Levels then I would say do them. From the research I did a few months ago - two A-Levels in Maths and Physics are favoured most with airlines looking to sponsor.Degree wise, Aeronautical Engineering would be your best bet. A mate of mine had that and got to finals with BM, sadly only to fail the CAA Class One Medical on eyesight grounds.
Get your Class One done before you plan anything mate!

It came as quite a shock when I heard that there were plenty of pilots out there with little or no qualifications, not to mention quite a relief!

Good luck, VFE.

I'm off to read up on Trigonometry - great....

------------------
And up we go!

ian_737
6th Nov 2000, 01:54
Hi VFE,
This seems to be the 'big thing' in aviation, money. D'OH!
I don't really come from a rich background so i guess i'll have to perservere. Thanks for you help.
Ian

VFE
6th Nov 2000, 02:15
ian_737,
I too do not come from a wealthy background, the money it is going to cost me to get there will come from bank loans secured (hopefully) by having a half decent job to go back to and my parents house. Big step. You have to really want it. I do.
Best of luck.

Take care, VFE.

ian_737
6th Nov 2000, 02:45
VFE,
Yup! As with every wannabie and actual pilot they seem to have the same feelings and determination that I have. When I fly I get such a buzz and a great feeling inside me, it seems that only people like yourself know what i'm talking about!
Well, from all the help i've gotten It seems like I'm going to have to work, work and work. However it will all be worth it in the end!
Thanks again,
Ian

Doors to Automatic
6th Nov 2000, 13:12
Ian,

The best choice of A-levels is probably Maths, Geography and Physics. As far as degree courses are concerned aside from Aeronautical Engineering have you considered Transport Management?

Aston and Loughborough Universities both offer this course which is a general management degree with a strong emphasis on transport.

You could even go on to do an M.Sc in Air Transport Management. Here, Cranfield University is the best choice as the course offered is excellent.

Best of luck with your career aspirations.

Regards, DtA

[This message has been edited by Doors to Automatic (edited 06 November 2000).]

ian_737
6th Nov 2000, 22:13
Doors to Automatic,
Thanks for you info, geography sounds good for A-Leval, i was actually thinking of taking that becuase it's one of my better subjects.
Thanks again!
Ian