PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a decent cup of tea in an aeroplane?

drichard
4th Nov 2000, 13:25
As most folk know, tea only brews properly when water is at 98C (or higher). Unfortunately, as you reduce ambient pressure (such as climbing a mountain, or in a pressurised cabin at altitude) the boiling point of water falls, so this "brewing" temperature becomes unachieveable - leaving you with an inferior brew.

Short of using a pressure cooker or tea granules, can anyone suggest a viable means of getting a decent cuppa on a long-haul flight?

Dan Winterland
4th Nov 2000, 14:42
Try coffee!

Old King Coal
4th Nov 2000, 16:06
Take a big 'Thermos' flask !

traveler
4th Nov 2000, 17:00
cup-a-soup for me !

fobotcso
4th Nov 2000, 17:31
C'mon people, this is serious stuff!

Millions live and much tea is grown at the altitudes you are talking about. Tea is blended for the region where it is marketed, including the water composition. I don't know about the altitude, but I bet if you bought your Typhoo in Colorado it would be different from the stuff in Colchester.

Good topic for a Web search, this; I found this after a Google search on "tea and "high Altitude"" - doesn't actually mention tea at altitude but you can always try some more. http://homecooking.about.com/food/homecooking/cs/altitude/index.htm

You could brew on the deck and microwave it in the air, I suppose!

[This message has been edited by fobotcso (edited 04 November 2000).]

foxmoth
4th Nov 2000, 19:35
Just a cautionary note on thermos flasks if you use one of those with a plunger on the top.
I used to use these in my air taxi days and, if you do not add a little COLD water before t.o., the water reboils at altitude due to the drop in pressure, increasing the pressure inside the flask. When you then go to use it, the pressure inside the flask then keeps the (boiling hot) water flowing - can be very dangerous.

fobotcso
5th Nov 2000, 00:31
Valuable contribution, FM, thanks. I've seen the results of scalding water under pressure on a person's face; not pretty.

deepee
5th Nov 2000, 03:01
In addition,make sure you take your own favourite Tea bags.

------------------
"I don't suffer from stress.I am a carrier".

Xenia
6th Nov 2000, 18:37
Ask to your Cabin Crew....the biggest you smile :) :) :)...the better you cup of tea! :) :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

mustafagander
7th Nov 2000, 08:02
If your a/c has a "hot cup" in the galley - a container with an element in the casing and a flat, open top - placing a saucer with a cup of water on it over the top of the hot cup helps by raising the internal pressure a bit. It does improve the tea a little. :)

Goldie
9th Nov 2000, 14:50
Well how do they heat babies bottles????????

Xenia
9th Nov 2000, 15:56
It's done by: 1)putting hot water in a jug -2)Inserting the bottle on it-
3)Wait for 5-10 minutes (or more...depending on water temperature)
4)Make sure it's not to hot (or to cold) before giving it back to parent.
5)Give the bottle back dry!
This is the normal procedure...but to avoid all this....
I would suggest to heat the bottle (and the screaming baby) in N.1 engine! :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

Next Generation PSR
9th Nov 2000, 17:39
I'd like to ask some of the flight deck crews if they know how to make a cup of tea in an aeroplane, let alone a decent one!

By the way you'll find the galley on the 737 just aft of the flight deck door next to door 1R if you fancy attempting to make us lot a cup of tea down the back, all offers gratefully received, especially on a flight with 189 pax and minimum crew.

Getting the flight deck crew to make the F/As a cup of tea on turnaround, now that's good CRM (Crew Resource Management) isn't it?

(Just a light-hearted dig guys, by the way, mines white without)

Insp Gadget
9th Nov 2000, 20:50
Last week after a flight and some of the worste tea I have ever tasted, I suggested to the number 1 that when she arrives home later that evening she should get out her aircrew manual and read up on how to make a decent cup of tea. I dont know whether she did or not but there was a marked improvement the following day.

exeng
11th Nov 2000, 19:27
Just ring the Cabin Crew call bell twice! Well it works for me, but then I do say please.

Regards
Exeng

avoman
12th Nov 2000, 01:25
If a decent cup of tea is unforthcoming it's probably not their fault! Thermostats on brewers are set at a pathetic 85 Celsius for the reason stated above. Stick to coffee which suffers less!

Alpha Bravo
13th Nov 2000, 15:33
If there's a port for a cigarette lighter, you can get a kettle element and plug it in. If you then desend to a sensible height, it should boil, no probs!

Lurk R
15th Nov 2000, 09:44
I can just imagine the request to ATC for a FL change...

Parapunter
16th Nov 2000, 00:59
I know how to generate turbulence on an a/c - sinply ask for a cuppa & it's usually delivered accompanied by whopping pitch & roll shortly afterwards. :)

little red train
16th Nov 2000, 03:38
Forgive me If I get the wrong end of the stick.

are you trying to get the tea as hot as possible & keep it that way, or is it just required to get the water over 100degC & then make the tea at a colder temp.

Because if a hot cup of tea is required surely decending to brew, would be useless, because as soon as you climb again it'll all boil away.

Otherwise why don't you just boil the water on the ground & then reheat in the Air.

It's gonna keep me away all night now!

Herod
16th Nov 2000, 19:46
Absolutely right, it is impossible to brew a proper cup of tea at 8,000 ft cabin altitude. Suggestion: make yourself (and the cabin crew) a brew while on the ground. You get a better cup of tea and a little gratitude, which means you will get a better cup of coffee in the air. Or stick to gin and tonic, it's fine at any altitude.

little red train
16th Nov 2000, 22:34
where does the cabin crew go in a PA-28, I've never found them, however, holding the beer out the D.V. window for a while gets it wounderfully cold! :)

Small planes and small bladers dont mix.

drichard
21st Nov 2000, 00:30
Well folks, I've certainly had a good giggle at some of the postings and I've come to the conclusion that a good cuppa @ 8000+ is not possible. I'd thought about a flask but the thought of it boiling over everything as I opened it kinda puts me off.

I was hoping someone from the manufacturers would chip (or take a hint), so I guess it's back to the coffee (or bourbon) for me then.