PDA

View Full Version : Fate Is The Hunter!

TRIMTRABB
4th Nov 2000, 13:24
Just want to say thanks to whoever recommended 'Fate Is The Hunter' (I think it was on R&N?) I'm in to the last 100 pages and it's everything everyone has said about it.
My question?
Are there any more books on this level worth reading?

------------------
Whoaaaa!!! It's dark and we've only got one engine!

[This message has been edited by TRIMTRABB (edited 04 November 2000).]

con-pilot
4th Nov 2000, 21:11
All of Ernie Gann's books are great, get and read them all.

PPRuNe Towers
4th Nov 2000, 21:16
With pilots possibly facing charges in Taiwan at the moment Gann's 'Band of Brothers' has a certain sad topicality.

Further back in time and not mentioned recently is 'Sagittarius Rising,' the exquisitely written WW1 autobiography of Cecil Lewis.

As that period doesn't get much of a look in these threads can I also recommend the funniest books I've ever read in my life. The 4 volumes of 'The Bandy Papers' are the fictional autobiography of a particularly hapless Canadian pilot.

As the only books that have ever made me laugh out loud I'd love a pointer to writer and publisher. Lent out long ago and never returned.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Bogtrotter
5th Nov 2000, 03:14
Try 'In the shadow of Eagles'. Basically a biography of Rudy Billberg. Barnstormer, Alaskan bushpilot etc. ISBN 0-88240-413-X

TRIMTRABB
5th Nov 2000, 13:08
Thanks for the replys everyone.....

SixDemonBag
5th Nov 2000, 18:12
Read "Carrying the Fire" by micheal collins ("that other guy that went to the moon"). Has a big aviation component to it and is a great read. He's was regarded as the world's loneliest man while he circled behind the moon and picked up Neil and Buzz from thie luner landing.

Plus Bob Hoover's "Forever Flying". SOme great stories. Loop-to-loops of bridges and stuff

Lu Zuckerman
6th Nov 2000, 01:42
Try getting a video of two movies. Fate is the hunter and No highway in the sky. Aside from all of the non technical drivvel in both movies, they give a good insite into aircraft design problems and how they effect the lives of Pilots, Crew and the passengers.

Fate is the hunter also exposes the hostility between the technical and operational side of an airline in the event of a crash.

The movie probably doesn't follow the book very well as the movie is only one chapter in the book.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 05 November 2000).]