PDA

View Full Version : Need current info on Cathay Pacific S/O slots

CALI_cfi
4th Nov 2000, 13:18
I have a couple of questions re: CX
(I already read the CX postings on this website)

1. Are yankee pilots welcome at CX?

2. I heard there is an age limit on S/O hiring... this true?

3. What are the competitive mins?...CX website published mins are 1000 fixed wing for S/O's. Are they hiring any S/O's near min. times?

4. I heard the medical exam is tough to pass (I have an FAA 1st class)...any truth to this?

Basically, I'm a CFI instructing on the west coast. My times are 650tt/60multi. I'd like to go to Cathay Pacific for the experience of living in H.K. and being able to fly nice equipment to exotic places...just one of those life experiences I'd like to try out while I'm single. I'm 32 years old...so the rumor on the age limit for S/O slots concerns me. I assume they are hurting for pilots like everywhere else.

CALI_cfi
4th Nov 2000, 13:41
OK...I found the search function and looked up CX. WOW...talk about unhappy pilots...

I guess I'll stay in the states and apply to the regionals...

GA_Stinks
4th Nov 2000, 15:07
Cali,
Cathay Requirements, as stated in there standard letter are:

-Licence: ATPL
or
CPL (without exemptions) plus evidence of passed in all ATPL ground subjects

-Rating: A valid Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating

-Experience: Min of 1000hrs on any fixed wing a/c although preference is given to those with multi engine or/and turbine time

I have been told that generally CX do not give you a chance to fill out an application form until you have the 1000hrs and the ATPL, although I have heard of exceptions....don't know what they are however.

As far as giving CX the flick because of what a few people have said on PPRUNE, sure there are alot of unhappy pilots working there but I know alot of people who are currently working with CX as FOs and SO's and they are loving it!
Don't be put off by what you read here, give it a go.

Good luck,
GA_S

CALI_cfi
5th Nov 2000, 05:19
Thanks GA_stinks...

Do you think they require the ATP written or an actual ATP ticket?

FAA requires 1500 tt to qualify for the ATP checkride.

I sure would like to go to H.K. I'll keep my
sites on Cathay Pacific anyway...

Thanks again!

GA_Stinks
5th Nov 2000, 08:30
Cali,
They don't require the actual ATP ticket, just proof of all passes in the Ground Theory.
I think the best bet is to start writing to them and keeping them updated with your progress at about 4-6 month intervals depending on the amount of work/hour building you have done.

The "Fragrant Harbour" forum will probably have a whole stack of info regarding employment.

Cheers, GA_S :)