PDA

View Full Version : Post 16 options for ATC

SvensKingPower
16th Jul 2011, 13:46
I was just wondering which option is best post 16. I have read the NATS page where it says minimum is 5 GCSE's but that is rarely enough. So is it better to do A-levels, if so which ones are best. Is it then best to go to uni and once again what degrees are best. Is it good to get a job in an airport and not bother with A levels or is it worth trying to do an apprenticeship-type scheme after year11. Any advice would be highly welcome.
p.s I have already visited EMA tower and am trying to get one at Manchester, Luton or Brum

Vortex Issues
17th Jul 2011, 06:49
You also need to have studied up to A-Level standard.

I have A-levels in Maths, Physics and Chemistry and a degree in Chemistry but does this help me to do my job, no. It helped me through the college though with learning techniques etc. You have to learn a lot of info in a relatively short amount of time.

I personally think it is worth while getting your A-levels, out of the many people that actually apply to train as controllers, very few actually make it to becoming a validated controller. It's always good to have backup choices.