PDA

View Full Version : RNAV wtf

snorrip3
14th Jul 2011, 17:26
I'm gonna ask opinions on this

I'm flying with various nav equipment, some basic gps, some basic rnav dme/dme, while still not RNAV approach/arrival approved (and some full rnav)

with brnav or gps, some guys are arguing that we're not allowed to fly to points published on the STAR plate, (some will be ex. 'WA503' - not in database, others ex. 'SPEGA' - in database)

am I allowed to fly to any of these points laterally, without accepting the STAR, if ATC clears me to them? what do I have to do to be able to accept such points? some argue that these points must be on an enroute chart.. some argue that since it's within a 'terminal area' that NPS is different, and therefor we cannot fly to these points alltogether

there's also been discussions about if I'm allowed to fly to a user specified point in a terminal area, let's say '10nm final'

my personal opinion is that while i'm above minimum enroute/sector altitudes, I can accept these points as enroute points - I'm not sure if I accept to fly to a STAR published point, that I automatically have agreed to a more strict NavPerformance (ex +/- 1nm in some areas, or whatever is published on the plate)

so... opinions please? publication help please? I get so completely lost in all these docs I don't know what's up and down in this JAR/EOPS ICAO mess :)

I'm flying for a EU carrier/airbaltic

appreciate it guys/girls

BOAC
14th Jul 2011, 21:20
If the waypoint can be located and 'found' using conventional navaids it should be ok. If it is purely a 'point in space' it isn't.