PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feedback, AW139 & S-92

arismount
11th Jul 2011, 02:31
Greetings Ppruners,

I'm considering applying with a major U.S. company to fly Gulf of Mexico IFR. I'm presently working in U.S. EMS as EC135 SPIFR, and am looking at this move because it pays more money, and I'd like the opportunity to fly a medium or large aircraft with more flying time and more regular IFR.

I'm looking into the possibility of flying one of two types, the AW139 or the S-92.

I'd like some feedback on both AW139 & S-92 safety, airworthiness directives, maintenance availability/dispatch reliability, utility in IFR operations, "pilot friendliness" with regard to noise levels, vibration, ergonomics...and any other general comments on these types from the perspective of an offshore pilot.

Thanks in advance for any comments and information.

--Arismount

ec155mech
11th Jul 2011, 05:03
cant answer about the statistics on availability ect. but I can tell you that the s92 is super noisy when avionics are on. takes forever to start up and shut down.

139 is as far as I know, not to bad noise wise. its a heavy helicopter = more noise. and there is the little snag of the ( I think ) 7 degress nose up in hover

jonwilson
11th Jul 2011, 06:16
The 139 is more like 12-15 degrees nose up in hover but cannot really see it as a snag.

The 139 is a little noisy inside but nothing a good ANR headset would not fix. Cannot speak for the 92.

The 139 is more popular and becoming a bit of a star according to the number on order and therefore probably a better career choice for further jobs.

spinwing
11th Jul 2011, 07:13
Mmmmm ...

..... The 139 is more like 12-15 degrees nose up in hover ....

BOLLOCKS .....

You may well see 12-20 dergrees nose up decelerating (depending on how rough you are handling the beast) but 5-7 degrees nose up in the hover is about right depending on your loading.

;)

NB according to my type conversion notes ... the transmission is tilted 5 deg fwd at normal rig.

9Aplus
11th Jul 2011, 08:27
139 is a little noisy inside comparable unit
is number of ears fallen off, from pilots on S92 :E

pasptoo
11th Jul 2011, 17:25
but I can tell you that the s92 ............. takes forever to start up and shut down.

If you think 4 minutes to airborne is taking forever, your life is running way too fast! :E

Ask the SAR guys what they think of the Start up/Shut down times. :ok:

ANR or Helmets is way ahead for noise, better still a Helmet with ANR. :ok:

Lioncopter
11th Jul 2011, 17:32
4 mins.....and that includes the time it takes to get to the aircraft!

jeepys
11th Jul 2011, 18:13
Spinwing,

there must be something wrong with the four 139's I fly. Even in the long nose variant with the avionics in the nose we are 12 degrees nose up in the hover.

Would be interested to hear from others who fly it because we may have four dodgy machines!

Perhaps you fly with two heavy pilots and no fuel or baggage.

Spinwing, what variant do you fly long or short nose?

jeepys
11th Jul 2011, 18:25
Oh that's okay then. We don't have a problem with ours then.

Spinwing do you fly offshore or other 139?