PDA

View Full Version : LGW-LHR div routing

jonseagull
9th Jul 2011, 14:24
Hello ATC types!

Any Swanick CCF controllers out there that can answer this one. would like to know what a realistic route would be for an aircraft going around from LGW (either runway) and declaring an intention to divert to LHR (again, either runway and effects of traffic levels on route)

Ta in advance,

JS

BOAC
9th Jul 2011, 15:01
Variable for a non-Mayday/Pan, I think, subject traffic. Probably towards a hold. If it is any help, I was approaching LGW in the 'second hurricane' (last century) with STN as an alternate and every second a/c going around when I nervously asked the routing to STN from LGW (3000' wind 300/65) to be told 'via WOD'.

Over+Out
10th Jul 2011, 11:03
We would have to check that BAA LL would accept you first

merlinxx
10th Jul 2011, 11:35
We always had our Epsom2 from our Little Airport in the Country to Hounslow Bus Garage back in the 60s/70s:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jul 2011, 12:35
<<We would have to check that BAA LL would accept you first >>

Gawd - really? Never used to be anything to do with ATC.

When I left the standard procedure was to BIG at min stack. If there was a problem we would keep it low - around 3-4000 - and feed it downwind.

30W
12th Jul 2011, 00:44
jonseagull,

As HD suggests expect probably to BIG, maybe OCK, at Min stack level.

Unless you declare a PAN or above during the Div then you will not be treated preferentially to other LHR traffic, so you can expect to hold and take your turn in the system. If you declare a PAN etc then you'll get one of the best services you've ever received:D

A few points though, I'm not based LGW but well familiar. Did a crewing favour recently which involved arriving back at LGW at 2330 local. OFP planned DIV was LHR, which was dubious to me being after night restrictions had taken place (so carried STN fuel).

Asked around TC couple of days later and a few interesting facts came to light...

1. Legally you CAN file LHR as alternate as declared as H24 in the UK AIP.

2. LHR would not let you land unless your handling agent was there. (rare to find anyone after the night closure, and don't believe ours are!). To do so would involve being totally stuck after landing and NOT able to either disembark or just fuel up and re-launch (within night restriction period) for LGW.

3.To land WOULD invoke a heavy fine for breaking the night restrictions and landing without a NJM.

Happy for any additional LL'ers to add their thought to the above:ok:

Beware what management promise and plan:hmm:

BTW, CCF was a well old name from well back in the Drayton days - must be showing your age:)

Cheers
30W

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jul 2011, 07:22
<<LHR would not let you land unless your handling agent was there.>>

Just to emphasise that this is not an ATC problem and if Gatwick has a diversion short of fuel, ATC will pop you into Heathrow no questions asked. However, when I wsa there, the plebs that ran Heathrow could be very, very, very nasty at times. I've had to tell someone on final approach that the authority would not accept the flight. He diverted to Farnborough. On another occasion an HS125 taxiied out and the authority said to tell the pilot he was too early and if he went he would never be allowed into Heathrow again. He went. On both occasions, there would have been no delay to other traffic but BAA, or whoever runs it now, believed that they were God. Maybe things have changed for the better now?