PDA

View Full Version : Visit ATC Day - question

paulthornton
8th Jul 2011, 17:02
Hi ATC folks,

I've just been looking at the details for "visit ATC day" on Air Space Safety: News (http://airspacesafety.com/content/news.asp) which does say more locations will be added.

Can anyone in the know tell me if Gatwick tower is likely to participate in this - or have a general organiser's contact E-mail that I can ask? The details on the webpage are given for the individual ATC units but not an organisational one.

Thanks,

Paul.

fisbangwollop
9th Jul 2011, 11:23
I guess you will need to wait for a volunteer at Gatwick to agree to host the day. Most NATS units are taking part providing someone is preparred to give up their spare time to help run the day as I am doing at Scottish Centre. :cool:

BDiONU
9th Jul 2011, 11:55
Most NATS units are taking part providing someone is preparred to give up their spare time to help run the day as I am doing at Scottish Centre. :cool:
Well done that man :ok:

paulthornton
9th Jul 2011, 16:35
I'll keep my fingers crossed then. Scottish is, unfortunately, a bit too far for a day trip for me, though :)

This is an excellent idea - I have had the good fortune to visit West Drayton and Swanwick, and the opportunity to chat to controllers has been fantastic. It certainly helps appreciate the hard work that goes on at the other end of the RT; the more PPLs who can visit ATC and understand how it works, the better for everyone - and hopefully fewer airspace busts.

Paul.

HeathrowAirport
13th Jul 2011, 11:26
I agree, Gatwick should be included - considering these visits are to improve airspace safety, Gatwick is an airspace that is extremely busy at times and stuff like this would help.

rennaps
13th Jul 2011, 11:42
Isn't this a security risk?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jul 2011, 13:06
There are security implications at the large airports but also keep in mind that at those airports the controllers are generally responsible for what is happening at the airfield. Control of light aircraft in the control zones is from Swanwick. Outside the zones the LARS is from Farnborough. Control Towers tend to be busy places with very little spare room and where controllers need to be able to see out of the windows. Having more than 2-3 visitors can be a serious hindrance.

LEGAL TENDER
13th Jul 2011, 13:19
Hardly a "SPECTATOR SPORT", is it? ;)

Roffa
13th Jul 2011, 18:01
Isn't this a security risk?

No (it is not, need to add more characters apparently).