PDA

View Full Version : Wrightsair - William Creek.

Sunfish
8th Jul 2011, 06:08
I saw several Wrightsair aircraft at Marree this week. I think most of them were running Lake Eyre tours and suchlike.

I would like to put on record my admiration for the Wrightsair pilot Guys and Gals. I have never seen more professional behaviour, starting with voice procedure, manners and professionalism right down to the evening cleaning of the aircraft.

Why a Qantas or a Jetstar or a Virgin would not want to snap up young pilots with this type of background is simply beyond me.

P.S. I hope CASA gave you and all your operations a clean bill of health at William Creek.

Jack Ranga
8th Jul 2011, 08:43
Sunny, do any of them say 'request traffic and code' (even some of the RAAF pilots are asking for 'traffic and code')

Jabawocky
8th Jul 2011, 09:16
Indeed :ok:

Dangly Bits
8th Jul 2011, 09:27
Sunny are you looking for a job with Big Trev are you? :)

He runs a good ship and in fact one of my friends just started with them. Trevor provides an excellent start to the profession of flying for many young men and women. He doesn't take shyte though so you best know how to fly properly before getting there.

I have known Trevor for years so I am a bit biased. I have never worked for him though.

Glad to see some organisations are turning out good pilot's though Sunny.

Cheers

DB

Fondair
8th Jul 2011, 11:44
Please explain what 'traffic and code' means and how would one respond to that? I'm more interested in the code part.

Here we go...
F-AIR

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jul 2011, 12:25
'request traffic and code'

The RFDS are doing now - so it must be right! :E

Dr :8

RV6
8th Jul 2011, 12:34
But what does it mean??

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jul 2011, 12:48
But what does it mean??

You're not supposed to know what it means - that's why they call it "code" ! :E

Jabawocky
8th Jul 2011, 13:04
It's just like ...climbing FLXXX pending clearance :ugh:

I think what the Ranga wants is a correct TAXI call or IFR departure report, and THEN you will be given all the stuff you need, including the traffic and a code. But what would I know..... :cool: just a lowly bugsmasher...:sad:

RV6
8th Jul 2011, 13:12
:O Thanks Dr!

mcgrath50
8th Jul 2011, 13:14
I always request my "airways when available", I don't want the controllers giving me something that's impossible now :8

morno
8th Jul 2011, 15:03
The RFDS are doing now - so it must be right

I'm sure if our Flight Standards department got hold of that Forky, the offending person would be made to write out the correct call 100 times!

I can't stand sloppy radio phraseology. If you can't be bothered to make the call correctly, what else can't you be bothered to do.....

morno

Howard Hughes
8th Jul 2011, 21:58
The RFDS are doing now - so it must be right!
Not in this part of the World they're not! Great idea about the lines mourno...:ok:

I always request my "airways when available",
How long before this becomes the standard, non standard phraseology?:ooh:

Sunfish
8th Jul 2011, 23:11
This reminds me of the old Army signals joke: "22 this is 23, have you received fresh radio batteries yet?"

Super Cecil
9th Jul 2011, 02:25
How long before this becomes the standard, non standard phraseology? You should have said "How long before this becomes the standard, non standard phraseology this time?" :8

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jul 2011, 08:21
I always request my "airways when available",

I wonder how many clearances have been given when "not available" ? :E

maverick22
10th Jul 2011, 05:25
It wasn't the intent, but somehow this has morphed into another R/T phraseology thread. So while we're at it, seems to be the trend lately:
"Centre, XYZ IFR Taxi"

Did I miss something new in the Jepps? I just launch straight in and give a taxi call...

NZScion
10th Jul 2011, 05:35
@maverick22 - I think it's just a bit of courtesy to let the controller finish whatever it is they are currently doing and pay attention to you, before you fire away with all of your details, only to be told to standby after blocking the freq for 15 seconds. You never know what else they may be organising on the other side of the mic...

maverick22
10th Jul 2011, 07:14
Yeah fair enough but is it anywhere in the Jepps? The plan is already in the system, so the details should already be there? I could understand this call if I was lodging details (i.e. no flight notification). :confused:

Captain Nomad
10th Jul 2011, 07:37
Jepp ATC pg AU-714 6.1.2 "The pilot of an IFR flight departing from a non-towered aerodrome must report 'IFR' when making first contact with ATS."

As NZ said, sometimes people use this as a starting point to give ATC a chance to pick up their pen before you go into the barrage of information. You would be surprised how much other stuff the guy on the console has to do apart from talk to you. Plenty of times they will tell you to 'standby' while attending to another matter before your taxi call - especially when things are busy. Put yourself in the other bloke's shoes for a moment and see what you would prefer!

OpsNormal
10th Jul 2011, 08:17
Mav.... Don't have the direct reference in front of me at the moment, but from memory it is covered in Jepps under the "Transmission Format" heading. As Capt Nomad and NZScion mentioned it is just plain common courtesy not to launch straight into a radio call as the controllers are quite often busy with other things such as co-ordinating hand-offs, datalink exchanges etc. Same deal with OCTA departure and position reports etc.

It also states straight up that on first contact with ATC one states one's flight rules if IFR. Sounds odd I know, however as usual there are different ways of interpreting the same information contained within the Jepps.

Have a good'n!

OpsN.:ok:

maverick22
10th Jul 2011, 09:41
Cheers fellas, knew this was the case with position reports, and the departure report, but not with the taxi call. It is something that I have just been hearing in the past 12 months. Will have a read tomorrow :ok:

Natit
10th Jul 2011, 10:18
Biggest f'ing thread drift ever!! :D

Jack Ranga
10th Jul 2011, 11:41
I think what the Ranga wants is a correct TAXI call or IFR departure report, and THEN you will be given all the stuff you need, including the traffic and a code. But what would I know..... just a lowly bugsmasher...

What would you know Jabba? You know what's written in AIP in phraseologies.

Request traffic and code? WTF is that? You get the traffic & code, automatic response without requesting it. Who was the ******** who came up with that radio call? And who are the sheep repeating it? It's sloppy, lazy crap. And for the the ADF to condone this garbage?

If you don't get a code squawk 2000, if the ATC doesn't give you a traffic statement, it means there is none.

What's your departure runway? What's your POB?

morno
10th Jul 2011, 15:22
I've been blasting straight into my taxi call for the last 4 years and I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've been told to "Standby".

A visit to Brisbane Centre confirms this is how they want it done (from the controllers I've spoken to anyway).

morno

Lasiorhinus
10th Jul 2011, 15:59
The enroute controller

a) is expecting you to call at some point
b) already knows who you are
c) already knows where you are

so when you call, they are just thinking "ah, yup, theres ABC's taxi call". Most controllers are capable of registering that, even if they happen to be doing something else at the time. There are exceptions, depending on what they're doing, but in general, there's nothing that requires their full attention. So just launch straight into the taxi call. They'll give you traffic, and a code, and a clearance when it becomes available.

I've no idea why the AIP says we have to tell ATS which runway we're using.

Lancair70
10th Jul 2011, 21:54
Ummm, maybe so if you dont give a dept report within 10 min they know which end of the runway to send emergency services to look for you ?

I always call ctr with my callsign only on first contact, sometimes theyll come straight back with my clearance and code, sometimes they tell me to stdby. Ive been told off for making my first call an all in one (vfr into CTA), I guess it depends on the controller and his workload/mood at the time.

Captain Nomad
11th Jul 2011, 03:23
I could count on one hand the number of times I have been told to 'standby' too - in the last week! Maybe the Melbourne controllers are just more busy... :}

VH-XXX
11th Jul 2011, 03:28
How about the reciprocal? When I am busy as the pilot, ATC should call me up first and see if I'm too busy to take their instructions!

Captain Nomad
11th Jul 2011, 03:52
They already do that! They say "STAR clearance available" - they don't just barrel into it. :8

OpsNormal
11th Jul 2011, 04:36
I've been blasting straight into my taxi call for the last 4 years and I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've been told to "Standby".

A visit to Brisbane Centre confirms this is how they want it done (from the controllers I've spoken to anyway).

I'm pretty sure you were at the ASA presentation I was able to swing for the troops back in '06, or was that when I banished you to the gulf for a week or so for sozzing a chieftain battery....??? It was covered that night, just before the drinking began.... :zzz:

ozaggie
11th Jul 2011, 05:37
You know what? That Wrightsair is a bloody good operation. I bet they get all their calls right. Oops, sorry, did I drift back on thread?

morno
11th Jul 2011, 07:08
Ops, I believe you banished me to the Gulf that week after the stupid Cheiftain broke itself on me.

But you also told me to use "pending clearance", :E.

morno

OpsNormal
11th Jul 2011, 08:59
Wash yer mouth out morno, you never got that one from me!:=

Brian Abraham
12th Jul 2011, 04:25
Just to get back on thread. Who would like a job with Trev?

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/img012.jpg

zappalin
12th Jul 2011, 04:58
Resume sent!

FJ44
12th Jul 2011, 05:28
But you also told me to use "pending clearance

Hang your head in shame Ops!!

Cessna 180
12th Jul 2011, 05:32
Holy mackerel!! They are the hottest looking pilots I have ever seen!

Think I will pack my case and head over to William Ck pronto.

knightflyer
12th Jul 2011, 05:35
Now that's the way to get a thread back on track:E

multime
12th Jul 2011, 05:40
Hot hot hot, and not an epoulette in sight. :E

Jamair
12th Jul 2011, 06:31
Righto Mornos, slip into yer skirt & blouse; looks like a suitable career path has opened up for you!:E

PLovett
12th Jul 2011, 10:15
No wonder he didn't want me back - would have seriously upped the average age of his pilots. :{

The ladies on the left and second right have been with him for a few years now and seriously wracking up the hours. Certainly made the evenings at the William Creek pub more interesting. :ok:

PyroTek
12th Jul 2011, 11:08
The one on the far right has been there about two or three years I think. :ok:

morno
12th Jul 2011, 11:34
I dunno Ops, I seem to remember something like that!

Never mind, I'm sure one small thing like that vs all the other very worthy bits of advice you gave me over the years pales into insignificance.

Jamair, hell I'd almost go on leave without pay to do some time there I think, :E.

morno

Capt Fathom
12th Jul 2011, 12:48
The one on the far right has been there about two or three years I think.

I think is not good enough.

More factual information required Pyro. You just can't make statements like that. :ugh:

PyroTek
12th Jul 2011, 13:20
Fathom: I do know the girl, I'm just not sure if it was two or three years.:ugh:

Edit: It's two.

I still don't understand why you are fussing over ambiguity that has little significance to anything.

Jabawocky
12th Jul 2011, 14:34
I know two of them, the shrt one;) is no pushover either :ok:

Go girls :ok:

Sunfish
12th Jul 2011, 22:19
Well I had the Missus with me and she clobbered me over the head with her handbag when she saw me looking in certain directions at Marree.

So later, I told her about the mouse plague and pointed to the little grey furry fellows running around on the dining room floor.

..I'm now told I can go back to Marree or William Creek on my own.....

Brian Abraham
12th Jul 2011, 23:52
Good job you didn't take the wife to Willy Creek and have her try the swimming pool Sunny. Some critters extracted there from.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/148312_501301244975_720419975_7196951_7330306_n.jpg

Sunfish
13th Jul 2011, 00:00
Missus just told me she would sleep in the aircraft after I showed her the photo.

uncle8
13th Jul 2011, 00:57
Congratulations on the wheelbarrow, Brian.

PLovett
13th Jul 2011, 01:05
The 'barra looks like another Trev special. :}

OpsNormal
13th Jul 2011, 05:48
Didya buy a new barbie Brian? Nice one!:D

FJ, 'tweren't me, back inya box!;)

FJ44
13th Jul 2011, 12:09
Makes dropping into YWMC for a drum or two of fuel worth while.

OpsN, which box would that be?

jas24zzk
13th Jul 2011, 14:59
Reminds me of....

Essendon Tower, Sierra Golf echo details, (full details given)

Sierra Golf Echo, Essendon Tower, let me find a pen, standby.

8 minutes later

Sierra Golf Echo, tower go ahead details.

don't know anything about that one

(blush)

Jas

_gazelle_
14th Jul 2011, 01:17
...On the topic, what is "taxiing THIS time"?

gettin' there
15th Jul 2011, 03:59
the opposite of taxing "next" time?

propblast
15th Jul 2011, 04:42
...On the topic, what is "taxiing THIS time"?

It's for pilots that managed to learn to fly without ever knowing how to read a watch.

Back on topic, now that Wrightsair is the new dream company for that elusive first job, when should pilots start heading out there. Is there a season for Lake Eyre flights.

More importantly, does anyone have any more pics. Of the lake.

PyroTek
15th Jul 2011, 07:27
Is there a season for Lake Eyre flights.
Propblast:
From what I hear, the heat of summer in the desert tends to make tourist numbers dwindle. I'm not exactly sure of the peak season, but I've been told that the heat is the main reason. (Probably a bit of weather involved too):ok:

PLovett
15th Jul 2011, 07:50
Think winter months for the "season" and you won't be too far wrong. Summer flying anywhere in Central Oz is a bummer with thermal turbulence etc.

I enjoyed flying there back in '09 although there is a sameness to the flights, especially when you are doing your third for the day and you have to run the whole spiel yet again. The flies never let up (you are in the middle of the largest working cattle station in the world) and you certainly learn all about cross-wind landings and dust storms.

The run up the Warburton River was always fascinating, probably more than the lake itself, especially if you were lucky enough to bag a charter through to Birdsville where you could follow the river to the Goyder Lagoon then up the Diamantina to Birdsville. Great country.

galdian
15th Jul 2011, 11:50
Getting back to a more important thought (regards the photo);

is it just me or does anyone else also see "....another 4 empty kitchens...." (or "....another 4 empty laundries....") etc, you get the drift.

Just asking. ;)

mcgrath50
15th Jul 2011, 23:30
By the looks of them galdian, I think they have no trouble filling thier kitchens with a stay at home bloke of their own if the need arises!

The way things are going we'll have a female prime minister next!

Desert Flower
16th Jul 2011, 01:39
is it just me or does anyone else also see "....another 4 empty kitchens...." (or "....another 4 empty laundries....") etc, you get the drift.

Who do you think cooks their meals & does their laundry now then?

The way things are going we'll have a female prime minister next!

Any one of those four girls could do a better job than the one we've got!

DF.

Brian Abraham
16th Jul 2011, 01:51
The one on the far right has been there about two or three years I think

Pyro, I wish my life was passing me by as slowly as yours seems to be, but then we may have our rights and lefts confused. i waved goodbye to Katrina (lass on the right in photo) as she set sail for the Creek at the beginning of the season last year. Alison (left in photo) spent a number of years there, but no longer.

More importantly, does anyone have any more pics. Of the lake

Plenty of pics propblast, but this is the most evocative of the area for me. Taken by the then CP I believe.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/207.jpg

Pilotette
17th Jul 2011, 10:40
Wow, this is slightly awkward :O
Looks like I'm never going to escape that picture..thanks Brian ;)

Jabawocky
17th Jul 2011, 10:57
Onya Possum :ok:

Sorry I missed you gals on the way through, mind you Mrs Jaba did get some awesome sunset pics on the way past your place.

Keep up the good work.

Desert Flower
17th Jul 2011, 11:24
Sorry I missed you gals on the way through, mind you Mrs Jaba did get some awesome sunset pics on the way past you place.

Hey Jaba - ya back home now? Heard you yesterday just before 10AM local "on climb to 7,000" then just before mid-day heard you being handed off to Brisbane Centre.

DF.

propblast
17th Jul 2011, 11:32
Cheers pyro. Thats kinda what I thought. The central Australian summer is stifling. Note: A bottle of coke for lunch is not sufficient hydration for a long afternoon flight. First and only time I have been badly dehydrated in an aircraft.

Brian, that pic is awesome. I only wish mine could turn out that well when I take them.

Jabawocky
17th Jul 2011, 12:59
Gooday DF...

Was that climbing or descending?, I planned 7000 out of YBHI, but the FZL was higher than forecast there so I went up.....and to avoid sitting in cloud went higher and higher.....O2 is good ;)

WX was pretty sad out there.....I logged 3 hrs of IF time on the way home.

Can't go anywhere it seems, a Virgin Australia Captain....soon to be RV8 man also heard me there while he was enroute ML-CS. Just as well I was being a good Jaba then:O

Desert Flower
17th Jul 2011, 13:19
Was that climbing or descending?,

Definitely on climb - must have been as you were taking off out of YBHI. Wasn't really taking much notice until the callsign registered! ;) Yep, weather around this area has been pretty ordinary for the past week. Wednesday morning was a no-go zone at YLEC due to rain & low cloud.

DF.

Pilotette
18th Jul 2011, 02:53
Yeah it would have been good to catch up Jaba! As it turned out I had to head to Marree for the night anyway though. I trust you had a great trip!!?

AnyGivenSunday99
21st Jul 2011, 11:42
i'd let them hold hands with me..... :E

Miss you girls!lol

mcgrath50
28th Jul 2011, 20:32
Stopped in there this week and despite the pub having no power had a great time. Really welcoming from the two wrightsair staff members we met, even got a hand refuelling and pushing our planes around. From what was said sounds like a top place to work, well done guys!:ok:

mtrench
16th Aug 2011, 09:41
Wrightsair was awesome.. loved my time there.

jas24zzk
16th Aug 2011, 12:39
Grats on the appointment Talia!

Hope all continues well for you

:ok:

Jas

PLovett
16th Aug 2011, 12:42
Now just get rid of the Wrightsair shirt and replace with something more appropriate. :ok:

jas24zzk
16th Aug 2011, 12:52
Now just get rid of the Wrightsair shirt and replace with something more appropriate.

BOLLOCKS!!!!!

I see nothing in need of change! :p

PLovett
16th Aug 2011, 12:57
I see nothing in need of change!

I do. It should now be "Opal Air", not some tatty old "fly-by-night" organisation based in the GAFA. :} Just jokin' Trev.

Anyway, good on yer Tai. :ok:

WannaBeBiggles
17th Aug 2011, 01:04
Well done to Talia, I've also heard great things about Wrights Air and met Trevor while hour building in the outback, great bloke.

She said she believed she was the youngest chief pilot in Australia.

Unfortunately I know of at least one CP that is 1 year younger, although I would agree she's the youngest female CP out there as far as I know.

goin'flyin
17th Aug 2011, 06:00
I also know of a few CP's that are (in my case - were) younger when appointed as CP, i was 23, sadly that was a few years ago now :(.

In any case, congratulations on the appointment as CP. no mean feat at all :ok:

Pilotette
17th Aug 2011, 10:08
:O Wow thanks for the support guys...some embarrassment is an understatement, but that's ok :p Looks like my cover is blown though! :O

LKinnon
14th Apr 2017, 15:46
Yes, I know it's an old thread.

Heard Wrightsair had a change in ownership/management a while ago.

Any update on Wrightsair and how they are going now?

mikewil
14th Apr 2017, 23:01
Any update on Wrightsair and how they are going now? Pretty sure its still owned by Trevor Wright though he is no longer the chief pilot.

They are bigger than ever and have multiple bases these days, the main one being William Creek. I think they also operate out of Wilpena airstrip, Coober Pedy, Cairns and maybe another one or two bases.

They have also recently acquired one or two Cessna Caravans, so their operation is definitely growing.

If you are going to head to William Creek for a chat, make sure you have an Optus SIM card in your phone as they have recently received mobile coverage for the first time and Optus is the only provider that works there.

LKinnon
14th Apr 2017, 23:50
Thanks for the tip.

cooperplace
16th Apr 2017, 09:57
so Wrightsair is still the same tight ship?

Desert Flower
16th Apr 2017, 10:35
Pretty sure its still owned by Trevor Wright though he is no longer the chief pilot.

They have also recently acquired one or two Cessna Caravans, so their operation is definitely growing.

Recently acquired another Aerostar & one Grand Caravan.

DF.

Desert Flower
16th Apr 2017, 10:39
so Wrightsair is still the same tight ship?

Depends on what you mean by tight ship!

DF.