PDA

View Full Version : TWR or ACC

spoon84
5th Jul 2011, 10:05
Hi everyone,

I'm looking this forum since long time but never wrote a lot.
At this stage I want to ask your help, actually i'm in the selection phase of Skyguide in Switzerland, already done 2 of 3 and next 19 th July I have my last one :E
Some people advice me that they will ask me if I prefer be in the TWR or ACC and than they will take their decision to where i'll work (like ZHR or Geneva).
I always had the idea that I'd like to work in the Tower, doesn't matter where, but now I'm also re-considering ACC, can somebody tell me their experience or your opinion about this.
At the moment i'm 55% TWR and 45% ACC.....:ugh:

Thank you!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jul 2011, 11:49
You must make the decision... do you want to look at aeroplanes or a radar?

spoon84
5th Jul 2011, 12:12
Yeah, I know. I always had the idea that the ATC was in the tower so I did not have much doubts, but than I start to find interessting also the radar in its complexity! ;)

Of course I will choose what I like more and I think that the visits will help me on this!

Thank you anyway to anybody that can give me more informations that maybe is an ATC in TWR or RADAR, so I can have a general overview. :ok::E

Ivasrus
6th Jul 2011, 00:50
If you liked this as a kid, then the tower is for you YouTube - ‪Flying Toy Plane‬‏

If you liked this, then ACC/approach is for you: YouTube - ‪Firemint Flight Control for iPhone and iPod Touch‬‏

caucatc
6th Jul 2011, 01:43
Personally, I suggest you work in tower, I do not know how heavy is the traffic there, but normally tower has the lowest workload, and you can see a lot of nice painting aircraft, nice view of the weather, those are not available in radar room, radar is complex, maybe you will get boring if you work on that for a long time, further more, you are more willing to work in tower, then do it.:)

aldegar
6th Jul 2011, 09:31
I currently work in an ACC, but before I used to work in a TWR with radar APP and I really miss it. If you have the chance (I don't know if you have that choice in switzerland) to work in a TWR with radar APP that's definitely the best choice as you get the best of both worlds.

Normally, pay is better in ACCs than TWRs. However, watching the planes, landscapes, the sky, a sunset... there's no prize for that! (I'm getting tired of this "cave like" environment).

WetFeet
6th Jul 2011, 09:57
During my career I worked both ACC and TWR. Both have their own rewards. Some people prefer one, some the other.

In TWR there is likely to be more interaction with airlines and airline staff, ACC's tend to be busier so satisfying. Major airports have the busy factor as well, of course.

If opting for TWR then I would suggest making sure you also have Approach, especially with radar, as that gives you more variety.

If money is important then ACC tend to attract higher salary bands.

At the end of the day, only you can make the choice. Both are integral parts of ATC.

Vercingetorix
6th Jul 2011, 10:38
spoon84
working in a TWR environment makes for a more open social milieu plus, as caucatc says, 'you can see a lot of nice painting aircraft, nice view of the weather, those are not available in radar room, radar is complex'.

Working in an ATC ACC radar environment is like being paid money to play video games, except you never see the sky.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

A chum of mine joined the navy to see the world. They put him in a nuclear submarine and all his operational time was spent underneath the north pole.
Bummer.
ACC work is like that, operationally more interesting than TWR/APP (IMHO) but a lot of fun in the work aspect. Social life, 'cos of shift working tends to be with your work mates.

TWR/APP lets you interact with the outside world.

I've done both and prefer the ACC for the work but the TWR/aerodrome for the social.
Best of luck.:ok: