PDA

View Full Version : 509ERS

Mc Laughs
2nd Mar 2001, 03:47
Can someone explain to me what the term CAP 509ERS means??

I am really mistified to what people are talking about on this web site, when this term is mentioned.

Blended-winglets
2nd Mar 2001, 13:03
A CAP 509er is someone who completes a CAA AB-INITIO course. This is basically a course that takes a student from 0 hours all the way through to Frozen ATPL issue. The student completes the course with approx. 200 flying hours and a debt of around £36,000! These courses are offered at places like OATS,British Aerospace,Cabair,etc
Hope this helps.

foghorn
2nd Mar 2001, 16:50
Even though with the implementation of the JAR's, CAP509 is officially dead, the term is still often used. Under JAR the correct term is 'Integrated ATPL Course' and it now costs upwards of £45,000 if you don't go overseas. That's the price of keeping our European friends happy.

btw CAP509 was the official number of the CAA publication describing the course details hence the unusual name.

parkfell
2nd Mar 2001, 22:05
It will be interesting to see, and only time will tell, whether the new style JAR course will produce the same quality of student as the old style CAP 509 course.

Cygnet 66

RAFAT
19th Mar 2001, 01:09
Just to tidy this one up, and correct a small error by Blended-winglets, CAP509 does not refer solely to Ab-initio students.

The individual had two choices based on his/her experience; with zero hours, one would do an Integrated course, AKA Ab-initio, and be almost £40k poorer.

However, if you were close to, or at the old BCPL level of experience, you would do a Modular course, AKA Upgrade, costing £10k-£15k.

Both courses were conducted IAW the CAA publication CAP509 as foghorn states. The important point, if you are not a fan of 509ers, is that we did not all teenagers with zero hours and a rich uncle as some people falsely believe.

[This message has been edited by RAFAT (edited 19 March 2001).]

rolling circle
19th Mar 2001, 03:48
RAFAT - Not quite. The ab-initio course was described by CAP509, for the BCPL and CPL upgrade you would have consulted CAP588. It is true, however, that only schools approved under CAP509 were permitted to conduct the upgrade element of the CAP588 course.

RAFAT
20th Mar 2001, 03:11
Rolling circle, are you positive ? I've got my CAA file in front of me here and it lists the Standards Document for BCPL training as CAP 588, as you state; but for CPL training, both Integrated (Ab-initio) & Modular (BCPL-> CPL/IR Upgrade) it lists CAP509 as the applicable Standards Document.