PDA

View Full Version : Applying to NATS from overseas

wecrashlanded
3rd Jul 2011, 07:16
I understand NATS isn't currently hiring, but this is more of a theoretical post for a couple years from now.
Anyways, I'm a dual Canadian/British citizen and was wondering if there would be any possible hindrance to applying to NATS from Canada. Obviously, I'd have to cover my own flying/lodging expenses going to and from interviews and what have you, but can anyone think of any other detriment that would forbid such an endeavor?
Also, when they are hiring, how liberal are NATS in giving you time while you transition from your job to training. Let's say I need a few months to finalize all the details of leaving my previous job, will they grant that?

Much appreciated

PS. Don't ask me why I "dont just apply to NavCanada" I have my reasons :E

ADIS5000
3rd Jul 2011, 08:17
When the job market improves and NATS realises that they are short of controllers (again!), then there would be no problem applying from Canada (on my course 4 years ago we had an Aussie, a South African and a Finn). I recall that you have to pay for your flights but NATS will pay for one night in a hotel prior to your interview etc.

On your second point; NATS are fairly flexible with your start dates. They will allocate you to a course but if for personal reasons you can't manage that date then there is usually no problem with you asking to 'slip' onto a subsequent course.

I'm not NATS HR by the way! This is just from my own experiences a few years ago. Give HR a ring (check out the website for contacts.)

NavCanada still not the best place to work then?!

Regards, ADIS

wecrashlanded
3rd Jul 2011, 20:20
Thanks ADIS, you made my day..:cool:

cossack
3rd Jul 2011, 20:31
ADIS500 said:NavCanada still not the best place to work then?!

As an ex-NATS employee working in Canada for the last 8+ years, I have to say there a pros and cons to each, but I'm glad I'm where I am now and would not consider moving back.

NC has won the IATA Eagle Award as Best ANSP for the second year running BTW.:ok: News release...

NAV CANADA - NAV CANADA wins IATA Eagle Award for second year in a row and third time in its history (http://www.navcanada.ca/navcanada.asp?Language=en&Content=ContentDefinitionFiles\Newsroom\NewsReleases\2011\nr 0607.xml)

I don't think the OP works or has worked for NavCanada, but he has his reasons for not wanting to.

25check
5th Jul 2011, 09:33
NATS keeps winning awards too if the intranet is to be believed, although they are pretty obscure ones, best ATC provider in Hounslow etc :rolleyes: