PDA

View Full Version : Aborted landing at Gatwick

ian75
2nd Jul 2011, 22:25
Apologies in advance for the naive question but...I was a passenger on easyJet 5444 from Budapest into Gatwick yesterday (Friday) which eventually landed around 1655. We appeared to be a few minutes away from landing with the wheels down when the engines suddenly increased power and we pulled up into a fairly steep (or so it seemed to me) turn to the left. It was initially announced that the Captain had not been happy with that particular approach and had decided to go around again. The Captain later made an announcement to say the "cabin was not ready" for that particular landing, which led to a few puzzled looks. All the cabin staff had been in their seats in position for landing so I'm not sure what he meant or if I had misheard.

I'm sure this sort of thing isn't unusual but it's the first time it had happened to me and I wondered if anyone could outline in general what sort of things might have been the cause. I appreciate, of course, that there may be many reasons. And, again, apologies if it's just too general a question to answer.

Doors to Automatic
2nd Jul 2011, 23:37
It happened to me a few years ago on an easyjet flight into Geneva - we were 10 feet off the ground! The same reason was given as on your flight which, having read your account makes me wonder if this is an easyjet standard reason given regardless of the actual cause!

The most common reason for a go-around especially at busy airports like Gatwick is the aircraft in front being slow to get airborne or vacate the runway.

denhamjosh18
3rd Jul 2011, 08:12
Might I add, also an a/c infront of you could have had a small problem, ( burst tyre) like there was at Heathrow last night. (I assume, as an Eva 777 and BA 320 went around, and the Eva went around very very late)
:ok:

dany4kin
3rd Jul 2011, 16:56
It may have been a departing aircraft on the runway ahead of you that may have had the cabin problem? Cleared for takeoff but they couldn't go and were therefore in your way?

LGW single runway is especially busy and there's not much time for things like that.

If you turned left I'm assuming you were landing on 26L and the Southerly turn is to avoid the flying area at Redhill, not to mention all the other busy things North of Gatwick, Biggin, City, LHR etc.

BOAC
4th Jul 2011, 07:58
Ian - a message from the senior c/crew memeber is given to the pilots at some point in the approach that the cabin is 'secure' for landing - ie pax and crew strapped and seated, trolleys stowed, etc.

Even when the cabin IS actually 'secure', sometimes this message can be forgotten at either end and the 'safe option' is exercised.

ian75
4th Jul 2011, 09:36
Many thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Nicholas49
4th Jul 2011, 13:47
I understand from previous threads that at many airlines, including easyJet, it is standard practice for a member of the cabin crew (SCCM?) to give a PA following a go-around to pacify anxious passengers while waiting for the 'official explanation' PA from the flight deck when the captain has time.

It sounds that in this situation, the cabin crew member and the captain gave conflicting messages, which confused switched-on passengers such as the original poster. I don't think this gives a good impression.

This makes me wonder whether there a standardised wording for the cabin crew to use in these PAs?

Might I humbly suggest from a 'customer service' point of view that it would be wise to leave the flight crew to provide the precise details of / the reason for the go-around?

Sky Wave
5th Jul 2011, 14:16
Might I humbly suggest from a 'customer service' point of view that it would be wise to leave the flight crew to provide the precise details of / the reason for the go-around?

The problem is that the pilots are extremely busy during a go around, having atc frequency changes, execute the missed approach, early level off, clean up the aircraft, assess the fuel status, re-check the weather for the alternates, agree on the next course of action (divert or another approach), tell ATC the plan, re-enter the approach into the flight management system and all of this has to come before the PA to the pax.

Although we realise that pax must get a very quick PA from the pilots our priority always remains 1st Aviate, 2nd Navigate and finally Communicate.

Rather than wait 10 minutes with passengers wondering what the hell is going on it's surely better for the Cabin Crew to have a standard PA advising passengers that a missed approach has occurred because the Captain was unhappy with the approach. The calm tones of the cabin crew will go some way to convince nervous passengers that this is not an unusual situation.

it sounds that in this situation, the cabin crew member and the captain gave conflicting messages

I disagree, the Captain did not believe the cabin was ready and therefore was not happy to continue the approach. No conflict, it's the same message.

All the cabin staff had been in their seats in position for landing so I'm not sure what he meant or if I had misheard.

The 2 at the front may have been seated, could you see the 2 at the back?

As for easyJet the SOP's dictate a mandatory go around if the landing checklist is not completed by 500ft AGL and Cabin Secured for Landing is the first item on the checklist.

As BOAC said if the cabin crew forgot to pass the message or tried to call too late this would explain why the cabin "appeared" to be ready.

Hope this helps

SW