PDA

View Full Version : Noise abatement LHR and LGW

Wildwood99
1st Jul 2011, 09:01
What is the normal noise abatement procedure for departures from LHR and LGW?
Is the power reduced at 1500ft or 1000ft?
Are the flaps/slats retracted at 3000ft or are they selected at a lower alitiude?

Crazy Voyager
1st Jul 2011, 10:17
Some details of this can be found in the AIP. Both on charts (At least KK has a published "Noise Preferential routings" chart) and in the text part of the AIP.

As for flap/slat retraction it most likely depends on the airline, type and conditions on that day.

foxmoth
9th Jul 2011, 01:21
What is the normal noise abatement procedure for departures from LHR and LGW?
Is the power reduced at 1500ft or 1000ft?
Are the flaps/slats retracted at 3000ft or are they selected at a lower alitiude?

And the reason for asking is??

BOAC
9th Jul 2011, 10:39
Most airlines with 'modern' jets including BA just do it 'normally' (ie begin normal accel -VNAV/LVLCHG) at 1000/1500 aal) and are not bothered by the regs. It is all to do with Db.

Max Angle
12th Jul 2011, 15:11
Noise abatement take off is a fairly common procedure at non UK European airports, reduce to climb power at 1500ft agl and accel. at 3000ft agl. How much difference does it actually make on the ground I wonder. I don't think there is a single UK airport that stipulates the procedure, LHR and LGW is just a normal take-off.

BOAC
12th Jul 2011, 16:59
Noise abatement take off is a fairly common procedure at non UK European airports - well, I never did it (except in a 200), anywhere!

Tail-take-off
14th Jul 2011, 10:45
BOAC

Whether you did or didn't is not being debated here. Max Angle is correct that it is a requirement at some Eouropean airports (CDG & AMS spring to mind). The airield plates normally specify any required noise abatement proceedures.

mutt
14th Jul 2011, 14:38
BOAC, a lot of airports stipulate the required Noise Abatement Procedures, for example in CDG.....

Pilots of turbo jets MUST follow initial climb procedures as follows:
- maintain a speed of V2+10, or as performance permits, up to 3400 ft with Flaps in Takeoff Position.
- maintain, takeoff power up to 1900 ft, then maximum climb power to 3400ft.
- at 3400 ft return to normal climb power and flap retraction schedules to enroute climb

Other European airports have similar departure requirements.

Lateral/Full-Power
Approach
Flyover
Noise Level (EPNdB)
Noise Limit (EPNdB)
Margin (EPNdB)

The B737-300 has a 5.4 EPNdB Margin on takeoff and a Cumulative Margin (EPNdB) of 10.60. If you don't follow the stipulated procedures, how do you ensure compliance with the required noise limits?

Mutt

BOAC
14th Jul 2011, 16:40
how do you ensure compliance with the required noise limits?Well, being a simple chap I followed company procedures which were to 'ignore' all that. I would suggest that following company procedures is the best policy - and I never triggered a noise violation to boot. We certainly use to give les francais the Agincourt signal on that one:)

mcdhu
14th Jul 2011, 20:03
It's my (limited) understanding that EU Ops states that OMs must contain no more than 2 easily understood NA strategies.

We use NADP3 by default unless the OFP/CFP tells us to use NADP1. It's as simple as that!