PDA

View Full Version : A few B757 questions...

dwshimoda
30th Jun 2011, 23:39
OK, just trying to tie up some information / misinformation I have gained over the last few years - would appreciate other people's input:

1) IRS's - some people put then straight to "NAV" (as SOP) whereas some people put them into "Align" first before selecting NAV prior to inputting V2 to "stop wander". Does anyone have a detailed reference for this? I remember something about purging 16 hours worth of data but can't remember the detail...

2) Using speedbrake with no flap, but at vRef30+80, + another 10kts. Can anyone give me any factual info about using the speedbrake near a flap limiting speed? (obviously making sure the speed does not bleed below that speed) Flaps 0, 1 & 5 only.

Dumb questions I'm sure, but would value other PPRuNer's advice...

esreverlluf
1st Jul 2011, 08:51
1) Although I have never flown the 757, I have approx 7000 hrs on the 767 and I have never heard using the method you describe to "stop wander" - and quite frankly, can't see how or why it would. It may be valid, but stick to the SOPs - they are there for a reason and you won't get shot on a route check if you don't vary from SOPs! You are sticking your neck out if you go off piste!

2) I believe the speedbrake does increase stall speed by a few knots, but the protections are such that unless you have a heap of bank on and are back under your manouevre speed for the configuration, then you are wasting your time worrying about it.