PDA

View Full Version : 757-767 fmc vref

homingpidgeon
30th Jun 2011, 03:21
Hi there !
With 20k+ TT and 6k+ hours on 757-767, the other day I stumbled with an ex-arrow guy who says that when you program the fmc for app & land, you should insert vref plus five on the runway and on the ff.
Since my lactant days I'been told that there goes siply vref. The addition of 5 kts is made manually on the mcp.
Am I wrong ?

Regards.

The Dominican
30th Jun 2011, 08:30
That is just technic, it doesn't really make any difference if you set VREF or +5 or simply don't input any speed on the legs page, like you said at that point you will control the speed with the speed window on the MCP anyway. People get trained by different companies with different DO's that come up with their own procedures,:hmm: where I'm at they have been operating 76's for over 30 years but still find some procedure or callout to change every two years:ugh:, have a beer hermano and don't worry about it

40&80
13th Jul 2011, 20:38
Similarly......Landing within "wind limits" on a very long downwind runway......my new B767 F/o wanted to factor in the tail wind and fly final approach well "below" Vref.
It seemed totally logical to his university brain to take all of the tail wind plus 5kts off of the Vref and he got quite exited when I asked him not to.
For my sins I could not at that moment see the sense of his thinking so we did not use his method.
Similarly...A new B767 F/o was very high on his first approach with me and had some flap already extended...quick as a flash he totally crossed the aileron controls and booted in full opposite rudder in an attempt he said to "forward slip" the excess altitude off...never having seen this done in a B767 I put a stop to this....I might have been wrong but at the time I did not want it.
My fleet Captain when asked for his opinion on this maneuver in the B767 said...I have never heard of a forward slip... is that some American term you use for a side slip?...I never got an answer out of him if this maneuver was approved in a B767 or not.... therefore I never did it or allowed it.
I always thought I knew...a side slip from a forward slip... two different flight maneuvers I was required to fly during my 1964 FAA CPL flight training at Crescent
Hollywood Fbo.

dusk2dawn
15th Jul 2011, 10:25
// tread drift warning //

I've met some Americans who claimed that sideslipping a 767 was a perfectly acceptable practice. However, I sincerely doubt that Boeing agrees, specially after AA 587 in NY.