PDA

View Full Version : any info on hiring in canada

Canuck15
25th Jun 2011, 04:55
hello gentlemen

I am canadaian working overseas as a captain B737NG with about 6000 hours of total time and 2500 PIC on the B737NG . I been out of country for some time now and lloking to come back soon so any job info would be appreciated.

Happy Landings

clunckdriver
25th Jun 2011, 14:28
Check your PMs.

takamasa
27th Jun 2011, 17:58
i am a pilot with Canadian CPL +frozen ATPL + Multi IFR and about 1000 hrs.

what are my chances of getting a job in Canada? any recommendations ??

thanks a lot every one.

cheers.

b737NGyyc
28th Jun 2011, 00:48
Unless you have citizenship or permanent residency the chances are slim to nil. If you do you will have to get in line behind the current crop of pilots working their way through the system here.

altiplano
30th Jun 2011, 16:57
@takamasa -

There isn't a "line" you will have to get behind, and you are employable with that time - highly unlikely with a 705 operation - up north or with most 703/704 carriers you have a good shot.

You need to be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency though and drop the whole "frozen ATPL" idea and just say you have written the exams.

WJAPilot
1st Jul 2011, 02:52
I always wondered what a "frozen ATPL" was....

You either have it or you don't as far as Im concerned and so will the companies your looking at.

If your applying for a job that requires aircraft heavier than 12500 lbs and thus need an ATPL to fly the other option is go and write the IATRA (think thats what it is) exam.... allows a CPL holder to fly 12500 a/c or heavier until the ATPL is complete.

WJP

clunckdriver
1st Jul 2011, 14:01
WJApilot, Like you I just cant figure this "Frozen ATPL" crap, when we ran our companies whenever I recieved a CV with this on it it went straight into file 13. On talking to other operators I found I was not alone in this. Pilots looking for work in Canada should check and see how its done over in The Great White North, I also binned any who offered to work for less than my employees of had been any part of a P2F scheme! Only last week I had some frigin college grad offer to fly for free,{Still fly one aircraft in private catorgory} even our local gliding club pulls this, the parking lot is full of top end cars and most own the most expensive sailpanes built, so glad Im retired!

altiplano
1st Jul 2011, 14:48
I think, in Canada, the frozen ATPL is someone who has a CPL and wrote the ATPL exams and did it all with a college that has that all worked out with TC. For Europeans I think the frozen ATPL is similar but you have to get (buy)a type rating on a large aircraft aswell.

Whatever the origin though, it's pretty much BS in the eyes of most employers so just don't mention and say your a CPL holder who wrote SAMRA/SARON and did a college diploma... makes sense...

sgs233a
2nd Jul 2011, 06:33
I think, in Canada, the frozen ATPL is someone who has a CPL and wrote the ATPL exams and did it all with a college that has that all worked out with TC. For Europeans I think the frozen ATPL is similar but you have to get (buy)a type rating on a large aircraft aswell.

Whatever the origin though, it's pretty much BS in the eyes of most employers so just don't mention and say your a CPL holder who wrote SAMRA/SARON and did a college diploma... makes sense...

Yep, the whole "frozen atpl" thing is available with the fancy new "integrated cpl".... Basically, you can write SAMRA and SARON early, and have a few yrs to meet the time requirements and get the ATPL.

If doing licenses in what used to be the typical way, "modular" as they seem to call it now, the normal requirements for writing SAMRA/SARON apply.... So in my case I just wrote the IATRA.

Cheers,
Colin

Double Wasp
7th Jul 2011, 12:13
I was always of the understanding that a "Frozen" ATPL means one has the SAMRA / SARON written then they get a type rating on a 2 crew required aircraft. On successful completion of the PPC the requirement to obtain the ATPL within 2 years is waived and the exams are "frozen" as completed, indefinately. The same rule applies to the IATRA.

This only applies when obtaining a PPC on an aircraft that requires 2 crew on its type certificate with the exams written.

Cheers
DW

takamasa
8th Jul 2011, 04:25
Thanks for every one's comment .

I guess i need to amend my resume before sending out then. The term Frozen ATPL is rarely to be used in Canada.

Referring to one of the replies, i am a canadian with Canadian Licenses. I am just wondering what are my options base on my experience.

I submitted the applications to quite a lot of companies in Alberta and Manitoba, especially those looking for entry level pilots and didnt have any response at all.

I submitted through Email. Is this approach incorrect? I wonder why i dont cant receive any response as i meet the mini. requirement of the position.

thanks a lot every one.

happy flying

Mostly Harmless
10th Jul 2011, 02:41
You are well qualified for an airline position. But, it is seniority based (in all but a few places) and you will be starting out as a year one first officer. There likely won't be any direct entry captain positions for you... so as long as you are okay with that, it would just be a matter of time before you are picked up by an airline.

If you are applying to the charter companies... it looks like you are over qualified for most.

Best of luck.

sgs233a
15th Jul 2011, 18:17
I was always of the understanding that a "Frozen" ATPL means one has the SAMRA / SARON written then they get a type rating on a 2 crew required aircraft. On successful completion of the PPC the requirement to obtain the ATPL within 2 years is waived and the exams are "frozen" as completed, indefinately. The same rule applies to the IATRA.

This only applies when obtaining a PPC on an aircraft that requires 2 crew on its type certificate with the exams written.

Cheers
DW

Double Wasp,
I believe you're dead on - with an integrated CPL you can write the SAMRA/SARON early, and have 2 yrs to meet the ATPL hr requirements, or the frozen ATPL bit lapses. If a PPC is completed in that 2 year timeframe, the frozen ATPL exams are good indefinitely - just like the IATRA with a PPC.

Cheers,
Colin

a330pilotcanada
17th Jul 2011, 13:26
Good Morning All:

This just a "rumour" only from a good friend inside the airline. Air Canada will need up to 500 pilots and if this "rumour" is true it will be good news for all in Canada.

With an intake such as this it is like a partial vacumn at the top as everyone is pulled up through the middle.

Can someone who has better information please confirm or deny this rumour?

pilotbaba
17th Jul 2011, 16:45
It is not only in CANADA, it is going to be every where in the world, ALL over the world, the senior airline pilots or commercial pilots as a whole, the guys who were supposed to turn 60 & retire in 2007 & hence, got to stay an extra 5 yrs due to the extention of the 65yr retirement Rule.
All those guys will start retiring in 2012 onwards & that will create a mass movement, a PERFECT STORM...

Already Happening in USA, the regionals are scrambling to get pilots & CFI's are leaving flying schools for regionals & cargo or 135 jobs......
It will happen everywhere, just a matter of time..........

yycdxr
26th Jul 2011, 21:42
I heard from a friend of mine that Flair Air out of YLW is looking for 737 drivers. Good Luck!

Loopy
29th Jul 2011, 01:33
Job Details (http://www.pas-aviation.aero/inc/GetJobDetail.cfm?dom=1016&id=100357)

leekuanhsien
5th Aug 2011, 18:07
any info on hiring in canada
hello gentlemen

I am canadaian working overseas as a captain B737NG with about 6000 hours of total time and 2500 PIC on the B737NG . I been out of country for some time now and lloking to come back soon so any job info would be appreciated.

Happy Landings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you any ATPL holder with total time 3,000 flight hours and PIC 600 hours above?

a monthly pay of 1,7000 USD job is waiting for you.

My e-mail is: [email protected]

SpinDrift17
6th Aug 2011, 04:26
Greetings all ~

Just exploring a wild idea...but what are the odds of an American getting hired by Air Canada?

First...I've done a bit of research and know that I have to get a license conversion, and hold a permanent residency card for Canada. As far as the residency is concerned, is that a process that I have to complete before I even apply with Air Canada, or is it something that I could get hired first, then obtain my permanent residency as a condition of employment?

Second, the license conversion / experience. I'm currently flying for a regional airline in the US. Full FAA ATPL, full type rating in the EMB170/190, 3000TT, 2200 Jet / glass, about 200 in the Mighty Dash-8...

It sounds like a FAA ATPL to TC ATPL conversion is not a horrific process...

For now it's just an idea floating around, but if could get serious quick if it seems halfway feasible to become employed up there.

Thanks to all in advance

*-)--

tbaylx
6th Aug 2011, 04:51
The license conversion is simple and not an issue. You have to have the right to work in Canada before you can apply for a position. ie you need permanent residency before you'd be considered.

Same as a Canadian pilot applying to work for a US airline, not going to happen unless you have the right to work there first.

SpinDrift17
6th Aug 2011, 05:02
Fair enough...

So is a "Work Visa" the same as a permanent residency / landed immigrant status?

If hired by AC I'd have no problem going through the process for a permanent residency card, but it seems like a bit of a process for a "maybe"with the airline.

Also, as I research, it seems like I'd have to have a job / residence in Canada to get a permanent residency status...

It sounds like it's setting up to be a Catch-22...I need a job for residency, but need residency to get the job....

Also...aside from the residency issue and ATPL conversion, would an American have a shot of getting hired by a Canadian airline, provided I had fulfilled the other requirements?

Thanks!

^-)--

Panama Jack
6th Aug 2011, 06:15
I tried to find out by doing an internet search exactly what this "Frozen ATP" is-- and I think I have found it:

http://www.ahart.com/newWeb/Humor/Frozen_CoPilot.jpg

tbaylx
6th Aug 2011, 15:43
A work visa would be fine too, as long as you have the legal right to work in Canada your application would be accepted. Though if a work visa is temporary (ie limited to a couple of years or whatever) i doubt any airline would consider you as they won't invest the training into someone who would be leaving.

A work visa is not the same as permanent residency though.

Working temporarily in Canada (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp)

Work visas are typically issued for employers to fill a skills shortage, and I can assure you pilots are not in shortage in Canada. About the only way for an American or other nationality looking to work in Canada as a pilot would be to either 1- apply for a work visa in a position that is in demand should you have other skill sets other than pilot, work for a few years in that field and get permanent residency here, then switch back to being a pilot. or 2- marry a canadian.

Assuming you can get the right to work in Canada by some means (the airline itself will not sponsor you as there are many qualified pilots already in the country) then there would be no issues at all with being american and getting hired.

Again it all comes down to having the legal right to work here.

Also once you have the right to work in Canada it's no guarantee that you would get hired. Westjet and Air Canada are swamped with applicants already, and some people wait years or never get hired for whatever reason.

That being said Air Canada and Westjet aren't the only game in town here. There are other good career companies out here depending on what you are looking for.

altiplano
6th Aug 2011, 16:09
You will not get a job at Air Canada or WestJet without residency/citizenship already established.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't waste my time unless:
- you want to move here (without a job)
- live here (without a job)
- put in the time needed for a shot at getting residency (a couple years)
- and then roll the dice on a chance of getting hired

planett
8th Aug 2011, 06:31
Panama Jack,

Gary Larson is priceless!