PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Receivers

PFO
23rd May 2001, 18:17
Hello,

Just bought one - listening to London Info is OK but what else can I listen to - ie Commercial Traffic overhead my house (in the Midlands). What frequencies are they on???

Are there any online frequency listings? Preferably free of charge!

Cheers

PFO

Flyin' High
23rd May 2001, 18:49
I have been thinking about a scanner for some time but never know what to look for, channels etc etc

Also how much should I expect to pay?

FH

------------------
Speak your mind - It proves you have one! :)

PFO
23rd May 2001, 18:54
Just invested £250 (!) in a Yupiteru MVT-7300EU

Apparently it covers the full spectrum and includes the new 8.33 KHz steps!!!

Now all I need is something to listen to!

PFO

paul-g
23rd May 2001, 19:16
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a receiver only. You could either pay about #400 for a transceiver or buy a cheap handheld receiver.

Cheap receivers retail at about 50-150 quid and can be bought from places like Transair. I don't own one but I've seen the Maycom AR-180 (75 pounds) and it's tiny and looks cool. Alternatively there's a Steepletone SAB 2000 Scanner at 50 pounds but this is the size of a breeze block.

You can use receivers to get the ATIS prior to startup on an IFR flight in winter to avoid wasting your plane's battery. If you're using yours from home to 'spot' air traffic, unless you live very near an airfield it's unlikely that you'll hear a two-way conversation. For frequencies choose a frequency guide. This will also list airport frequencies should you choose to join that fraternity.

The best receivers of course are built into passenger airliners so a simpler solution might be to get an aviation job and you can listen away while the thing flies itself. You'll also save yourself a few quid 8)

Autofly
23rd May 2001, 21:26
PFO

Check your e-mail

AF

Oldlearner
24th May 2001, 00:58
Can any one tell me what the International Space Station uses in the Southern hemisphere

ickle black box
24th May 2001, 19:13
encryption!

[Only one word, an I still speelt it wrong!]

[This message has been edited by ickle black box (edited 24 May 2001).]

Saab Dastard
25th May 2001, 00:44
PFO,

There was a thread on this in Private Flying not long ago, if you do a search on "frequency" in there you should find it.

There were some useful links.

I bought a Yupiteru too, and living close to LHR I can hear a lot of 2-way conversations, particularly tower, director and some of the radar frequencies while watching the aircraft arriving 27L/R or departing 09R.

Sad eh?

Be aware of the legal aspects of using an airband receiver.

SD

------------------
Hoping and praying should never be confused with planning...

Jim lovell
25th May 2001, 12:16
I have a Uniden Bearcat XLT120 scanning receiver. It has 100 channels and is an excellent "basic" receiver. I paid $280 Australian dollars for it andd it's very reliable. BTW i live over 20nm from the nearest major airport and i pick up 2-way communications very very clearly! The only frequencies i have trouble gtting ar Tower/Ground.
They are lots of fun and great in developing your RT procedure- get one