PDA

View Full Version : Australia's most trusted profession survey 2011

priapism
22nd Jun 2011, 05:27
Pilots make 3rd , Paramedics come first.
Australia's Most Trusted Professions 2011 | Read our 2011 list of Australia's Most Trusted Professions. Did your profession make the cut? (http://www.readersdigest.com.au/australias-most-trusted-professions-2011)

priapism
22nd Jun 2011, 05:33
I wish my remuneration reflected it though ! :*

bobhoover
22nd Jun 2011, 05:36
I'll bet the paramedics and firefighters wish their pay reflected it also. However, the training required to achieve each occupations' pinnacle is far different though, particularly in relation to cost of training

fender
22nd Jun 2011, 05:48
CEOs No. 37. Bwaaaaahhhh

priapism
22nd Jun 2011, 05:58
bobhoover -
I am a paramedic - 9 years advanced life support - 3 years at university - salary including shift / public holiday rolled in $69,700. I earned more as a flight attendant 10 years ago. I'm not saying pilots are overpaid - on the contrary for the reason you have pointed out. I know what my commercial pilot best mate had to do to get where he is now. We just get crap money for what we do and the hours we put in doing it. I support the QF pilots 100%.
I note that sex workers rated higher than politicians. perhaps Joooolya could do the former part time and lift the rating a bit.

Howard Hughes
22nd Jun 2011, 06:32
perhaps Joooolya could do the former part time and lift the rating a bit.
Thanks, now I will not be able to get that image of of my head!:yuk:

gobbledock
22nd Jun 2011, 06:53
What number did CASA come in at ??

Wally Mk2
22nd Jun 2011, 07:16
"HH" I was thinking the same thing, will have to do it with the lights off all the time now:E............eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk

I've worked with para guys/gals they deserve the top spot & more money. These Paramedic professional are far more switched on than GP's:ok:

Loved the fact that Pollies, Journo's, real estate agents & car salespersons where at a similar level, near the bottom!:-)
Interesting cops where nowhere near the top, now that's a real worry!

As for pilots at No3? At least we where listed as a 'profession'

'gobb'...........in answer to yr question......... No 11 in disguise:-):E

Wmk2

teresa green
22nd Jun 2011, 07:46
She could open "Boganville lodge" at night, and the boyfriend, no I had better stop there. AGGGGH!

waren9
22nd Jun 2011, 08:40
Pilots 3
Cops 12

And who signs the stat decs?

FFS

zappalin
22nd Jun 2011, 10:13
Thanks, now I will not be able to get that image of of my head!

I'm sure she would be able to 'negosiate' a good deal for all.

Teal
22nd Jun 2011, 12:30
Funny...CEOs are only two spots above s*x workers....:hmm:

I'll bet the paramedics and firefighters wish their pay reflected it also...Don't worry about the career firefighters (including airport firefighters). They are very well paid. With all their various loadings, allowances and overtime, on a fortnightly pay cycle some will earn more than their employer's CEO who might be responsible for a $600 million budget. Not bad for 4 days on and 4 days off, and nine weeks annual leave.

Jack Ranga
22nd Jun 2011, 12:37
$69,700 x .7 (shift working allowance)= $48,790....... to be spat on, abused etc for saving lives. This countries values are seriously ******.

And then at EBA time having to beg for a 2.5% payrise.

Jack Ranga
22nd Jun 2011, 12:39
will earn more than their employer's CEO who might be responsible for a $600 million budget.

Oh spare me please, what a crock of ****e :ugh:

Teal
22nd Jun 2011, 13:06
Spare yourself - you wouldn't know Jack. The CEOs of the various fire services in Australia are only public servants - typical base salary of less than $230,000 pa. You can get that from an Annual Report. Read exactly what I said....some will earn more than their CEO in a fortnight. That's not the same as an annual income. I am talking about a good fortnight of loadings, overtime claims and allowances. That's straight from the mouth of somebody who processes their pays every day of the week. Why don't you download a recent 2010 EBA and do the sums?

kellykelpie
22nd Jun 2011, 22:28
Does less pay = more trust in the public's eyes? I'm sure if paramedics earned 2 mill per year they wouldn't come in at number one.

Howard Hughes
22nd Jun 2011, 22:44
Not bad for 4 days on and 4 days off, and nine weeks annual leave.
I have met Ambos in the bush who work four days on/four off, only problem is they are on call at night after their shifts and then on their days off! Sure they are making a mozza, but they can have it!:eek:

S70IP
22nd Jun 2011, 23:44
Alot of the professions that polled down the bottom are subject to their personal life being scrutinized outside of their jobs.
I can think of a few pilots who if they had there personal lives scrutinized would result in the polls being down the bottom too. I guess when your life depends on someone doing their job correctly the public don't want to know such things. Ie paramedics, firemen, doctors, pilots.

gordonfvckingramsay
23rd Jun 2011, 00:41
CEO who might be responsible for a $600 million budget

If we are boiling all this down to a purely dollar figure, consider this:

A small commuter (say a Metro or similar) Captain with an average of 15 passengers aboard per sector, doing 4 sectors a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. That equals 13800 pax per year. If you can put a value on a human life multiply it by 13800 and you have a figure for how much an average pilot is responsible for each year. That of course is the smaller end of the turboprop/jet transport spectrum.

I don't want more money, but a little less squeezing our profession into the non-skilled sector by some CEO would be nice. :8

Wally Mk2
23rd Jun 2011, 00:59
I think these days CEO's are pedaling the myth that pilots are not professionals or more to the point being a pilot doesn't come under the professional banner.
In some ways I can see how this can be so in the eyes of those who know no better. You don't need any formal education (other than basic reading & writing skills) to end up at the pointy end of a jetliner. All you need is the money & a determination to be a pilot & put up with all the hassles along the way to the top. Even a motor mech had to do a trade. They too had to learn skills just as a pilot did via being taught with exams along the way, are these guys considered professionals? I don't believe so in the public's eyes although they too can have yr life in their hands.
A Dr? Well you don't even get a look in there unless you had top marks at school. We are fighting a battle to have pilots recognized as professionals not only in the public's eyes but to those very people who hold the highest position in our Co's, the CEO's.

To this end the likes of Joyce want our remuneration to reflect the above & their going about it in an ugly way.

'S70IP' that's a good way of looking at it. Pilots aren't under scrutiny much unless there's an incident etc hence we are close to the top of trusted people.

Wmk2

Jack Ranga
23rd Jun 2011, 01:38
Oh spare me please, what a crock of ****e

As I said, spare me the bull****, even if it were true they deserve every cent they earn.

And who does know teal? Another jealous little zealot in HR who can't stand the fact that someone is earning more than them?

Have a think about what these people have to deal with on a day to day basis. They are educated professionals saving multitudes of lives every day.

Oakape
23rd Jun 2011, 01:52
Pilots used to be #1 a few years ago. Then it was #2 behind firefighters.

With all the crap wheeled out by management to destroy the profession over the last few years, I'm surprised we haven't slipped further.

tail wheel
23rd Jun 2011, 02:13
A small commuter (say a Metro or similar) Captain with an average of 15 passengers aboard per sector, doing 4 sectors a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. That equals 13800 pax per year. If you can put a value on a human life multiply it by 13800 and you have a figure for how much an average pilot is responsible for each year. That of course is the smaller end of the turboprop/jet transport spectrum.

Gordon. I think you will find that is a fallacious argument which can also be applied to bus or train drivers, motor mechanics, aircraft engineers, air traffic controllers, medical professionals et al.

Rather than seeking the social status accredited to one who can add the adjective "professional" as a prefix to their vocational title, I suspect what pilots are actually seeking is remuneration which acknowledges and reflects:

An adequate education in formative years;
The significant cost and time of initial pilot training;
An indenture over many years where increasing levels of skill are acquired and achieved;
A life long technological learning process;
The requisite skills and experience to determine the correct decision in continually changing and possibly stressful circumstances;

All in a continuously changing socio-economic labour market.

From my perspective, I would prefer financial recognition of my qualifications, skills and experience, rather than the right to use the adjective "professional" before my vocational title.

My 2 cents worth! :}

gobbledock
23rd Jun 2011, 05:32
Pilots used to be #1 a few years ago. Then it was #2 behind firefighters.

Yep, before the introduction of LCC's !!!!

teresa green
23rd Jun 2011, 07:44
Bollocks, pilots have always been considered professional. Airline pilots were born of the Second World War, airmen who survived. From those early days they were considered rightly or wrongly, men who were brave, competent, and intelligent. Your uniform marks you as a pilot, a person who has the brains and intelligence to understand the aircraft and the physics of flying, the ability to take a enormous piece of machinery that defies gravity to the other side of the world safely. You have public respect and you deserve it. We all know the struggle to achieve that LH seat, the endless study, the freckin manuals that clog up your study, and you would not have it any other way. Hold your heads high fella's you have followed a great tradition and some great pilots from the past. Be proud of your profession, it is a worthy one.:D

Calldepartures
23rd Jun 2011, 10:27
Bulltish Artist of the week.. A firefighter making 9000 in a fortnight!! My brother is a Firey..I can definately assure you that a firefighter in the MFB in Melbourne earns $65052 p/a plus about 6000 p/a in extra's. No additional for working nights, weekends or public holidays. 42 hour week. Good job, but certainly not in step with private industry shift work. (shell refinery firefighter $95000 base for a 35 hour work week). Good job security though, something most pilots wish they had.

Calldepartures

Normasars
23rd Jun 2011, 11:13
Calldepartures said:

Good job security though, something most pilots wish they had.

Not quite correct there my friend. Only QF LH pilots.

QF SH will continue on its merry way, and JQ, well they have the best job security in any airline anywhere.

Teal
23rd Jun 2011, 11:13
Turn the thread into a discussion about firefighter pays if you want. The ones that really deserve the most respect are the volunteer firefighters - on call 24 hours a day all year round for no salary at all.

From the Weekly Times last year:

CFA Board briefing documents, dating back to 2008, indicate the CFA's career firefighters were then costing an average $130,000 each to employ.

But those costs have reached new highs under a lucrative wages deal the powerful United Firefighters Union (http://www.ufua.asn.au/) signed with the CFA last month, which boosts career firefighters' wages, allowances and other benefits.
A copy of the UFU/CFA Australia Operational Staff Enterprise Agreement 2010, shows each paid firefighter gets:

65 days a year recreation leave, with a 17.5 per cent loading.
33 shifts of personal leave (sick, bereavement and carers) when they start the job; three more days at the end of the first year; and 18 more days each year (cumulative). This equals 54 shifts at the end of two years. Firefighters generally work four shifts a week.
One hour's pay each time a firefighter is contacted out of hours.
An availability allowance equal to 5.5 per cent of salary.
The right to take a quarter of a shift off due to sickness without any deduction in personal leave (10-hour day shifts/12-hour night shifts). If absent for half a shift, only one quarter of a shift is deducted from personal leave. The CFA must bring in another firefighter for a minimum of four hours, paid at double time, to cover any part of an absent firefighter's shift.
A change-of-residence allowance, including being reimbursed the stamp duty on buying a new home within four years.
The reimbursement of child care expenses if called in unexpectedly
Retirement superannuation through a defined benefit fund that delivers a lump sum worth more than eight times the final salary after 30 years service.
Free gym membership, if the CFA fails to provide a gym at a firestation.
An annual language allowance of $1021 a year if a language other than English is regularly used with the public.
A spoilt meal allowance of $14.98, if called out.
Being paid and supplied with a CFA vehicle to attend union meetings.
A motor vehicle allowance of $1.10/km.
About 25 other allowances covering rescue, fire investigation, training and first aid.

The huge cost of meeting the EBA and employing an extra 342 career firefighters within the next four years has already forced the CFA to cut funding to the state's 36,736 active and operational volunteers.

priapism
23rd Jun 2011, 13:46
Can't speak for the firies , but as a paramedic, metro based I work an average 42 hour week consisting of 2 x10 hour day shifts then 2 x 14 hour nightshifts , 10 hours break between the 2 nights. In airline terms it is not a 4 on 4 off roster , more a 5 on 3 off because the 0700 (usually later) finish after the last nightshift is counted as a day off. My $69700 includes shift allowances and we get bugger all down time compared to the smokies. There is a built in factor of 2 hours overtime per rostered fortnight. Doesn't amount to much. Rural paramedics earn more because they remain on call after their normal duty hours working 8 days on and 6 days off, thus getting extra pay for the call outs. Their down time is generally much higher than metro's.

The job now requires a minimum Advanced Life Support qualification which means 3 years uni /on road and a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through clinically.

I make extra working voluntary overtime shifts , but I find it too fatiguing to do a lot. The nature of the work can do your head in at times. I love it though - it's just so poorly remunerated. Should have learned to fly instead of chucking biscuits for so long.

I pissed myself laughing at Joyce sprouting gloom and doom and suggesting an Ansett style end for QF - as he half billion dollar profit was forecast. ( in a bloody difficult year). Someone should point out to him that if Ansett had ever made a profit like that it would still be in existence. What a tosser!

Stick to your guns QF drivers- it's a hard road to get where you are now - don't let this little prick con you.

Jack Ranga
24th Jun 2011, 00:26
Turn the thread into a discussion about firefighter pays if you want. The ones that really deserve the most respect are the volunteer firefighters - on call 24 hours a day all year round for no salary at all.

Yeah, and another bull****, cop out from you 'friend'

Take your mean spirited garbage elsewhere. And tell your jealous little zealot friend that does the pays to spend a couple of shifts with these people. Live the disruption the shiftwork causes to family & social life, and then if they want to earn the 'millions' pony up, do the training and then whinge about how much these people earn.

You & your whinging 'mate' are an embarrassment to fair minded, hard working people.

parabellum
24th Jun 2011, 02:45
In Singapore one of the expat. FOs wanted to marry a local girl who had been to Uni. They had to ask permission and go for an interview at a government ministry to see if they were considered suitable!

"Ah", they said to the expat. FO, "You don't have a degree", "No", said the FO, "But I have an ATPL and I am a professional pilot".
"Ah so sorry, but pilot is not a profession, Lee Kwan Yoo has declared that pilot job is artisan, so sorry, you cannot marry".

Fortunately they split up anyway due a difference of opinion over finances, the lack of!

Teal
24th Jun 2011, 04:27
Not whinging at all Ranga - and hardly envious (except for the 9 weeks annual leave) when my own income is higher - just pointing out a few facts that you seem to find so hard to accept. Completely and utterly uninformed, a closed mind, and hostile....I feel sorry for you.

Anthill
24th Jun 2011, 04:30
A susinct reply Jack :ok:

65 days a year recreation leave, with a 17.5 per cent loading. 13 weeks rec leave? BS!
33 shifts of personal leave (sick, bereavement and carers) when they start the job; three more days at the end of the first year; and 18 more days each year (cumulative). This equals 54 shifts at the end of two years. Firefighters generally work four shifts a week.Sounds fair, a very hazardous job would require generous sick leave provisions.
One hour's pay each time a firefighter is contacted out of hours. Fair enough. I don't like work calling me during my' down time' either. Home time is when we employees relax; calls from work are obtrusive.
An availability allowance equal to 5.5 per cent of salary. That's fair, if staff are "available" then the employer should pay for limitations that are resultanly placed on an employees recreation time.
The right to take a quarter of a shift off due to sickness without any deduction in personal leave (10-hour day shifts/12-hour night shifts). If absent for half a shift, only one quarter of a shift is deducted from personal leave. The CFA must bring in anotherfirefighter for a minimum of four hours, paid at double time, to cover any part of an absent firefighter's shift. So they should only see a doctory/dentist on theor days off?
A change-of-residence allowance, including being reimbursed the stamp duty on buying a new home within four years.What's wrong /unusual about this (outside of aviation...}? If an employer asks staff to move then it is reasonable that the employer meets the cost associated with relocation. A mate works for BHP and they do it too.
The reimbursement of child care expenses if called in unexpectedly Sounds fair, do you expect that the kids get left home alone?This sort of thing is done to suit the employer who NEEDS staff to come in on days off-without it, staff are unable to help out.
Retirement superannuation through a defined benefit fund that delivers a lump sum worth more than eight times the final salary after 30 years service. I expect to retire on about 6-8 times my final salary too.
Free gym membership, if the CFA fails to provide a gym at a firestation. Gyms are in fire stations so as the Fireys keep fit. This is an organisational requirement and not a union perk.
An annual language allowance of $1021 a year if a language other than English is regularly used with the public.Many occupations get this.
A spoilt meal allowance of $14.98, if called out. Sounds fair.
Being paid and supplied with a CFA vehicle to attend union meetings.Delegates/management only.
A motor vehicle allowance of $1.10/km.If an employer needs staff to use their own vehicles..fair
About 25 other allowances covering rescue, fire investigation, training and first aid.And so they should...!

Anthill
24th Jun 2011, 04:57
However, speaking in regards our own profession, I often wonder about why pilots take off their bars and wings when paxing. I never do this, I am proud of what I do and feel that full uniform gives our profession a more visible presence. Still, to each his own..

Sad that the 'open mic' gaffe in the US occured; twits like that hardly put our profession in a positive light.

Calldepartures
24th Jun 2011, 10:44
I can guarantee that most of the conditions listed above do not apply to a Firey in the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. For example, sick leave is 144 hours per year. (that is 10 shifts {14 hour shifts}).

One overtime night shift is worth approximately 700 bucks. So from a salary of 72000, to earn 130000 would require about 83 overtime shifts per year. Say so that means an additional 1.5 shifts per week (21 hours). That means that you would have to work your normal 42 hour week plus 21. I would say 130,000 would be reasonable for someone working 63 hours per week day or night, weekends and public holidays.

Anyway, I can assure you that an MFB Firey does not get that much overtime. More like one shift a month if lucky

Calldepartures.

P.S I now have the full EBA of the MFB in my possession if anyone really cares to obtain more info.

P.S.S Please accept my apology for being drawn into the discussion on this non aviation topic, I just strongly believe that all emergency services have a very tough job and quite often are not appropriatley rewarded for their hard work. Not unlike a certain other occupation...

Cheers to all emerg service workers and volunteers alike:ok:

Jamair
24th Jun 2011, 15:14
Priapism - not too 'hard up' are you? :E

I am also an Intensive Care Paramedic, 20+ years in.

The base pay is nothing special. No-one ever gets into it for the coin. Overtime & penalties bump it up, but at the cost of family time or life-balance. I used to make a lot of $$ in rural / remote bases, but the constant on-call and subsequent fatigue was a killer. Would work a full day, then be On-Call overnight; routinely called-out and still have to front the next day - there wasn't anyone else to do it! The bucks were handy paying for my pilot training though!

Variety was great. One day doing helicopter duty, tasked out to the GBR for a stinger envenomation, next day working alone at a single officer station 100k from anywhere and managing an evolving MI...... sweeeet!

Hard yakka to get there - a 3 year degree, another 3-4 years of experience then an 18-month post-grad certificate. More again for aeromedical.

A lot of responsibility and accountability. A good operator needs great deal of technical knowledge, physical competence and instant recall of critical issues, an ability to prioritise and remain calm in a sometimes stressful environment, and a good understanding of people. In many ways comparable to aviation.

All-in-all, prefer flying. I am currently in a SPIFR ME Turbine gig. The challenge is every bit as great; the satisfaction just as intense. Don't get bled on as much either :ok:

Calldepartures
25th Jun 2011, 02:55
TEAL SAID:

"I assume your next EBA will incorporate all the newly won benefits that your CFA brethren now receive, and then two years later the favour will be returned."

EBA Negotiation 1.01 - Never Assume.
(Especially with a change in state government)

Cheers
Calldepartures

LeadSled
25th Jun 2011, 03:28
"Ah", they said to the expat. FO, "You don't have a degree", "No", said the FO, "But I have an ATPL and I am a professional pilot".
"Ah so sorry, but pilot is not a profession, Lee Kwan Yoo has declared that pilot job is artisan, so sorry, you cannot marry".

Folks,
Pretty much what an Australian court found, many years ago, but nevertheless the last time, that I can recall, when pilots as "professionals" was adjudicated.

It was the old Arbitration Court, back in the days of the "basic wage". Part of the issue was whether a pilot was a "professional" for the purposes of the then legislation.

The court's answer was a unanimous NO, and the correct remuneration for a pilot was decreed to be the basic wage for a "first class fitter", ( an artisan in the terms of old union official --- and later town mayor, Lee Kwan Yu) plus a margin for skills.

Tootle pip!!

patienceboy
25th Jun 2011, 05:09
Whether we are classified as professional/white collar/blue collar/whatever is purely an ego driven argument. It really doesn’t matter. Typically, highly skilled and specialised tradesmen earn far more than someone who scraped through 3 years of uni, got a job in the city and began calling themselves white collar professionals anyway – especially if the tradesman is willing to work away/shifts (sound familiar?) Tailwheel has listed some good reasons why we should be fairly compensated; I could probably add 100 more.

Anthill
25th Jun 2011, 05:29
Technocrat perhaps?

stubby jumbo
25th Jun 2011, 07:49
Hey there Ronald......I think you haven't had enough medication today.

Save this site to your favourites-thats a good boy !

Children's Fun Sites A-D (http://w3.gorge.net/cannon/fun.html)

Cafe POQ

SuperStinker
26th Jun 2011, 23:38
No. 73 Controllers
No. 132 CASA exec's

gobbledock
27th Jun 2011, 10:51
No. 132 CASA exec's
Wow. Skull and Co came in at number 132. That means the following must have precceded them -
131 - Politicians
130 - Investment bankers
129 - Journalists
128 - Car salesmen
127 - Priests
126 - Lawyers
125 - Cabbies
124 - Jetstar cadets
123 - Telemarketers