PDA

View Full Version : medical query

wassupnow
21st Jun 2011, 11:55
Sorry if this is a stupid question or is posted in the wrong place.

Is there a list of prescribed medicines which would prevent us from working.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jun 2011, 12:39
Ages ago there was a UK safety bulletin which listed the types of medication which prevented one from working, e.g. antibiotics, but I do not recall specific brands of medicine being listed. The only real answer is to consult your AME.

NoMannIsAnIsland
21st Jun 2011, 12:43
Pink AIC - Medication and Air Traffic Control (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-0F6EC3EDDC369989DF58EB1D35A746B9/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIC/P/098-2004/EG_Circ_2004_P_098_en_2004-10-14.pdf)

wassupnow
23rd Jun 2011, 21:38
Thanks for the help lads. Its hard tough trying to get a definitive list alright.

Evox
24th Jun 2011, 10:15
This list was once used as a reference in the center i work in.

Aviation Medicine Advisory Service -- FAA Medical Expertise -- Our Physicians...Your Solution! (http://aviationmedicine.com/medications/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayMedications&contentID=26&navID=26)

Mr_Grubby
24th Jun 2011, 11:33
About 10 years ago before I was medically retired from ATC, my Doctor put me on a particular drug. CAA Medical Branch were suprised because this new drug cost £5 a pill and I was on 2 a day.

They said that if my Doctor ever stopped the pills because of cost, they said that they, the CAA, would pay for the pills. B*st*rds. Anything to keep me at work.

I had the last larf though. Eventually I was taking a cocktail of 22 different pills a day. They were forced to retire me at age 51.

Since then, I have never been fitter and felt so good.

C.

windowjob
26th Jun 2011, 18:59
You were lucky! I retired a bit early as I was going more deaf (already wore hearing aids and still had a Class 1 Medical!) then had a heart attack a month later:{.
Bugger, I could at least have had it in company time and let them sort it out. Hasn't stopped me going round the world since, though.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jun 2011, 19:29
Sorry to hear about your health probs me old mate. Keep well and do as the quack tells you. DID YOU HEAR ME???

Mr_Grubby
26th Jun 2011, 19:32
windowjob.

Yes, that is a bit of a pisser. But look on the bright side. We are still around. A lot of our colleagues never got to claim much of their pension.

C.

Brian 48nav
27th Jun 2011, 11:35
Malc, I told you training me was dangerous for the health!

HD

I'm sure Malc listens to the quack ,but sometimes ' a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!'.

Bobby Hillyer has been cycling and walking with me since his heart attack late 2004.

The important thing is to 'listen to your body' ie if you don't feel well, don't exercise!

Let's hope we are all still swapping 'dinosaur' stories for years to come!

BW

MrToad45
27th Jun 2011, 16:34
What sort of things would strike you out of a European Class 3 medical? Just interested to know, as it is a requirement of NATS application process.

Thanks

Crazy Voyager
27th Jun 2011, 18:33
The full requirements can be found here:
http://www.eurocontrol.int/safety/gallery/content/public/library/L4.pdf
pdf file so may take while to load if your connection is slow.

It's not always easy to tell though, I for example have eczema, that I would not class as severe. But it's hard to tell if that's the same thing a doctor will say. But since I just passed stage 3 I guess I'll find out :}

MrToad45
28th Jun 2011, 00:12
great link, thanks Crazy Voyager.

I wouldn't suspect eczema to be that big of an issue, you should be fine.

Being curious, I was wondering more about family history with i.e. heart disease, diabetes etc. And how a history would affect you on a personal level in a medical?

T.

Crazy Voyager
28th Jun 2011, 05:47
That's hard for me to say since I haven't had mine yet, a friend of mine just had an ATCO medical (though not in the UK) and he said they were only intrested in parents and siblings history. So I guess it depends on how close in your family the problems are, but I can't garauntee that will also be the case in the UK though.

MrToad45
28th Jun 2011, 22:32
Well thanks anyway! I would assume if that is checked outside the UK, it must be checked inside the UK. I hope someone that knows a bit more about the medical can help me out!

T.

aewaite17
4th Jul 2011, 16:08
Back to the Pink AIC, I seem to recall being told by the doc at the beehive that only telfast or fexafenadine were approved drugs for hayfever etc. While I am pretty sure that in an ops environment, the overall level of pollen is low, I would like to know if this has been lifted, or if it is just at the discretion of the AME now?

NoMannIsAnIsland
4th Jul 2011, 20:36
I phoned the CAA Medical department to ask about hayfever, they told me that loratadine was OK. Luckily I haven't had any symptoms this year, so haven't needed to take anything.