PDA

View Full Version : Intra Airways

smallfish
24th Feb 2001, 00:55
Anyone familair with the history of Intra Airways of Jersey? Any information greatly appreciated.

Speedbird48
24th Feb 2001, 01:06
I believe that Intra was formed by some of the old BUA(CI) people with DC3's. The names on the list of directors were all very familiar Jersey Airways, BUA (CI) people.

smallfish
24th Feb 2001, 01:21
Thanks Speedbird 48. Any idea when Intra started operation? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with BUA(CI), could you explain a bit further?

[This message has been edited by smallfish (edited 24 February 2001).]

Snoopy EGUS
24th Feb 2001, 01:41
Hi Smallfish,

Try the Airline History Website at:

http://www.airlines.freeuk.com/findex.htm

They have a section on Intra. I know I'm getting old - I remember their Viscount at Manchester in the 70s

Neil

smallfish
24th Feb 2001, 03:07
Thats just what I was looking for, many thanks. -wondering if Jersey Airlines (early 50s > ) developed from Jersey Airways(1930s) after WW2

Speedbird48
25th Feb 2001, 04:06
Intra was formed January 1st 1969 with directors from the old BUA(CI). That in turn had been formed by the take over of Jersey Airlines by BUA (British United).
Jersey Airlines was a DH Heron and Rapide operator and they also ordered HP Heralds that were being delivered when BUA stepped in.
Prior to WW2 Jersey Airlines had DH Rapides and DH 86's that operated off of the beach as there was no airport.
Intra operated six DC-3"s a couple of Islanders and a leased Viscount 700.

airsmiles
26th Feb 2001, 02:00
Intra Airways were a common visitors to Bournemouth Hurn Airport during the 1970's with their Dakotas. I am fairly sure they became Jersey European Airways in November 1979, now British European Airways of course.

bean
27th Feb 2001, 02:13
Intra was bought from its founders by a UK based businessman in the mid '70s. After achieving considerable notoriety in 1978/79 involving amongst other things Police raids on the companys offices & appearances by some company management & employees in the Jersey Police Court the Airline was bought by Fields Aviation who at that time owned what was then known as Express Air Freight (now Channel Express). For the summer of 1980 Express operated passenger services using one of Intras Viscounts & two of their own Heralds. The Viscount was painted in JEA Coulours as part of a joint operation with JEA.
JEA itself was formed in late 1979 as i believe an offshoot of Aviation Beauport initially operating one Islander on some former Intra routes. By the summer of 1980 they were operating Bandeirantes & Twin Otters as well.
So in fact in 1980 There were two Airlines flying passenger services under the Jersey European banner!

bean
27th Feb 2001, 02:27
I've Just checked out the Airlines website mentioned above & both the Jersey Airline section & the Intra section contain significant inaccuracies. It makes me wonder about the rest of the site.
The best work of reference on older British Airlines is "British Independent Airlines 1946-1976" Available from the Aviation hobby shop. I hasten to add that i have no connection with this work but can vouch for its accuracy certainly in the case of Channel Island Airlines.

CP32
28th Feb 2001, 03:51
I was with Air Europe from '79 until its demise in '91 and there are all sorts of things wrong!
CP32