PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Aircraft in Manila

Dan Air 87
17th Jun 2011, 05:26
Read today that Virgin Atlantic are flying their A340-300's all the way to Manila for maintenance. Isn't this a waste of fuel and not exactly environmentally friendly?

How come its cheaper for Virgin to do this instead of having their a/c maintained here? Haven't they got a couple of hangers that could do the job?

luganao
17th Jun 2011, 19:18
Virgin Atlantic fly to HKG only 90 mins flying time to MNL. Their A340's are maintained by Lufthansa technik in MNl

Dan Air 87
18th Jun 2011, 20:45
According to VS's web site, they only use the A340-600 on the VS200/ VS201 to HKG/ SYD. It still looks to me that these a/c are going to MNL and back empty. That is really environmentally friendly but of course this will not be mentioned on their web site.

MarkerInbound
19th Jun 2011, 04:18
Heavy checks are scheduled months out so there could be scheduling issues. The normal math balances the cost of labor v. fuel and cycle costs. The cost of labor in the PI would allow VSs to buy lots of fuel.

spannersatcx
19th Jun 2011, 21:42
If you're talking about the one that has just gone, it is for an off lease check before being returned.

Avionker
19th Jun 2011, 22:58
According to VS's web site, they only use the A340-600 on the VS200/ VS201 to HKG/ SYD. It still looks to me that these a/c are going to MNL and back empty. That is really environmentally friendly but of course this will not be mentioned on their web site.

I would imagine if there are an empty ferry flights they would be HKG to MNL and return. An aircraft comes off a check and is ferried to HKG. The aircraft which is due a check does the service to HKG, and is then ferried to MNL. The aircraft which came off the check then does the service to SYD. Sound feasible?

Capetonian
19th Jun 2011, 23:04
I would imagine if there are an empty ferry flights they would be HKG to MNL and return. An aircraft comes off a check and is ferried to HKG. The aircraft which is due a check does the service to HKG, and is then ferried to MNL. The aircraft which came off the check then does the service to SYD. Sound feasible?

Feasible, yes, but then it would entail a change of aircraft for the through pax at HKG, as opposed to what is currently offered as a direct service (i.e. with a transit stop where the onward leg is on the same aircraft.)

spannersatcx
20th Jun 2011, 16:33
a/c are positioned from LHR empty, and back again.

Dan Air 87
21st Jun 2011, 18:46
So the a/c don't even fly anything out there? Why can't the work be done in UK/ Shannon etc? I know its probably more costly but by the time they look at fuel, crew costs etc. So much for being a green airline.

SpringHeeledJack
21st Jun 2011, 19:39
It does make you wonder sometimes how it all stacks up financially and especially environmentally in such situations. Who knows maybe one day soon we will look back on such practices as indulgent and unthinkable, especially if the much heralded 'peak-oil' manifests itself. :hmm:

SHJ

spannersatcx
21st Jun 2011, 20:16
and the 744's are done overseas as well, whichever is the cheapest. That's the way they work.:(

Dan Air 87
22nd Jun 2011, 19:19
Someone told me that the B744's are maintained in AMS / FRA. Its absurd to send these A343's all that way to have their checks be it C or D. What a waste of fuel.

spannersatcx
23rd Jun 2011, 07:04
AMS is still not the UK, what about the refits of the tired old 744's going to China next year then!

VS has and always will go for the cheapest option (that's what the beancounters want) whereas in real terms, the amount of down time after the checks for AOG's and other tech problems will increase that cost, but like most departmentalised business's are, as long as it's not on 'my' budget it doesn't matter.:ugh: