PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an atc

boeing_bobby
16th Jun 2011, 13:20
Hi, Im reasonably new to forums, and this is my first post.
Im really interested in beicoming an ATC. I have been researching on the internet alot recently and I have found there are two ways of being an ATC; working at an airport and working your way up though the jobs there, or enrolling at one of the colleges.
I am looking into enrolling at one of the colleges, i have found 2 so far, ASTAC, and NATS. Are there any other ways, or colleges i should look into?
I dont really understand if NATS is a college? or is it just the government section in charge of aviation? there are many differnt talks about it.
ASTAC i have disocvered seem to be quite good. from what i have read, and been told, they run all training in the middle east, which i am told is a very good place to work for money? and also in charge of all spain too. I dont understand truely what is going on in Spain, but ASTAC seems to be mentioned in it all?

Can anyone help me decide please!

andrijander
16th Jun 2011, 14:08
Seems to me you need some advice. Keep looking, sounds like it is not very clear yet!

Anyway, will do my best to explain. I see you're from Kent, so I'll explain UK first. You have mainly one big provider and several others, smaller. If you're not into ATC yet, you need training first. Two ways to go. NATS select their candidates and pay for their training. If you can, take this road. AFAIK ASTAC charge you money for a training license (after that you need to find a post somewhere and then validate...kinda like passing a probational period at work but harder).

Just so you know, they are trying to do with ATC the same they did with pilots some time ago and make it so that you have to pay to work. If you keep reading abut Spain you'll see what I mean but, in short, they just did a course in which you had to pay 50.000 euro to...erm...wait for a job they may not get. All the people so far are unemployed (since May when they finished) and are waiting for the government owned towers to be privatised. In the UK it is different since there are already privatised or "private" or "local gov owned" instead of Government owned. People from your country who "creep" this forum will know best. I believe even there to be some stories about getting sponsorship from smaller units in need but they seem to be becoming a rare thing. After all, why would they pay when you may pay?

If you choose the "abroad" path you have EUROCONTROL. They also select candidates and pay. I do not know how it is in other english speaking nations but I guess you can always check (forget USA if not a national, other countries may have similar restrictions). I am afraid that is it so far since in the mainland Europe all other Air National Service Providers would restrict your access due to languages spoken in the country (english is the common language in aviation but it is not the only one). So unless you speak fluently another language, that's about it. If you do check for that country's ANSP and what the situation is. I won't list them all.

All the best and be careful, since the construction bubble crashed many people seem to be offering controller student licenses...at a hefty price. But they won't necessarily land you a job!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jun 2011, 15:05
boeing bobby. Note: ATC=Air Traffic Control. ATCO=Air Traffic Control Officer. Some people may not understand when you say that you want to become "an ATC".

ATCOs have licences, much like pilots. Whichever way you go, if you manage to get a licence it becomes yours, not part of your employment.

The best route into ATC in the UK is via NATS. There are stringent requirements - interviews and various tests plus a medical to pass. If you were successful you would be trained by NATS whilst being paid and then be posted to an ATC unit in the UK. Following further training if successful you would see an increase in salary and have an excellent job.

If you go for one of the privately-run colleges you have to pay them to train you with absolutely no guarantee of a job at the end. Plus, it would cost you an arm and several legs.

Take a look at: Air Traffic Controller Licensing | Air Traffic Standards | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=43&pagetype=70&gid=819)

You may also like to download and study:
CAP 744: Air Traffic Controllers - Licensing | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1128)

Good luck..

Vizsla
16th Jun 2011, 15:13
How to Become an Air Traffic Controller | How 2 Become (http://www.how2become.co.uk/products/air-traffic-controller/)

IVV
18th Jun 2011, 10:07
Check your PMs