PDA

View Full Version : NATS/CAA ATCO medicals

T250
13th Jun 2011, 11:56
As a current applicant for NATS' trainee ATCO selection, I understand successful candidates have to undergo two separate medicals upon initial entry. One by NATS and one by the CAA.

Please can anyone advise whether subsequently, every two years both medicals are required to be renewed or one or the other?

I am curious given that the medical requirements on the NATS medical are slightly stricter than those stipulated in the CAA requirements which are slightly more generous! ;)

T250
13th Jun 2011, 14:51
That leaves me confused as NATS stipulate this is the medical requirement for initial ATCOs http://natscareers.co.uk/PDFs/NATS_ATCO_RecruitmentStandard_MedicalClearance.pdf

CAA say...
ATCO Medical Information | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=10881)

The requirements/limits in each are slightly different, therefore I was led to believe they are two separate entities, both of which need satisfying upon initial entry/acceptance by NATS but the CAA medical is the one which is renewed continually from then onwards?

Glamdring
13th Jun 2011, 14:52
The CAA revoked the right for NATS to carry out initial medicals. So, yes, there is two initially. The NATS one will check that you will pass the CAA one and also that you are likely to remain fit throughout your career. Usually during the first few weeks of college you will be shipped off to Gatwick for your CAA medical. After this NATS can do all your renewals.

aerotech07
13th Jun 2011, 19:54
I am sure I read recently that NATS have been accredited once again as an aeromedical centre by the CAA, and that this will allow them to issue initial ATCO medicals. I presume this will eventually negate the need for trainees to travel to Gatwick.

anotherthing
13th Jun 2011, 20:06
aerotech07

Correct they have been accredited.

As part of their business plan, the medical branch of NATS also hopes to be able to do medicals at every NATS unit (Swanwick is the main one at the moment)... making it accesible as well for the airlines (and atttractive to them), for class 1 medicals.

They also hope to soon be able to do PPLs as well (at airfields this will be easier than at Swanwick, due to security restrictions)

aewaite17
4th Jul 2011, 16:26
NATS medical is to make sure that you will pass your CAA medical....

They will not give you a start date at the college until you have your class 3 from the beehive....

It used to be that people would start and then all shipped off to Gatwick, but now it is all done before you start there.