PDA

View Full Version : Smokejumper Pilot?

mutt
22nd Feb 2001, 07:42
Just found this ad, what on earth is a smokejumper pilot?

Smokejumper Pilots needed. Minimum requirements include: ATP, 1st Class Medical, documented smokejumper time as a Captain or as Co-pilot and 250 hours of "heavy" time (12,500 lbs.). Interested pilots should fax or email their complete resume. ** Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States **

pigboat
22nd Feb 2001, 08:23
That's the guy that flies the airplane the smokejumpers jump out of. :)
Seriously, on this continent much forest fire fighting is carried out by aerial application of either water or a fire retardant/water mix. In some cases where the fire is inaccessible by ground based transport, fire fighters and their equipment are parachuted into the fire site. They're called smokejumpers. Aircraft used are generally DC-3s or Twotters.
Try http://www.keelaghan.com/down.html and click on Cold Missouri Water to download a song about what can happen when a fire crowns.

mutt
22nd Feb 2001, 18:45
Thanks Pigboat.

I thought that the hours requirement was a little high for dropping jumpers, now it makes sense.

Mutt

Alano di Milano
23rd Feb 2001, 19:48
Believe it or not dropping parachutists is a very demanding and different aspect of flying, I did it for many years prior to getting an airline job and with the usual reply from the airlines of "sorry if all you do is fly round in circles all day you don't have what we are looking for." I saw many pilots come and go including experienced airline pilots who could not handle it.

Ahh, those were the days......