PDA

View Full Version : Terrain warning at EICK

PuzzledPunter
7th Jan 2001, 19:29
I was a passenger on an A320 into Cork in fog when the captain suddenly executed a go around very early on in the approach (flaps were still up).

He came on the PA and muttered something about going around due to traffic, but after landing came on again and explained that he had got a terrain warning due to a "nearby ridge". He also explained that, even though he was nowhere near it, he obviously needed to take action just in case.

What I'm wondering is, can the GPWS on an A320 get confused like this, or is it more likely that the approach was wrong? And is there a problematic ridge on one of the approaches into EICK?

Jet A1
10th Jan 2001, 00:29
I often operate in and out of EICK on the B737 and due the terrain in the area and very bizarre weather conditions at the airfield make late Go-Arounds common !!! It maybe 10k vis at 2 miles and then reduce to 200m at the threshold.......The terrain also make Autolands in fog very intersting on one of runways due to a sharp drop in the terrain at around 500' and usually results in a very deep landing on what is a short runway......

Spearing Britney
12th Jan 2001, 01:07
Approach probably fine, GPWS probably totally serviceable and aircraft probably totally safe.

But, if you have a high rate of descent and a high speed heading towards high ground the GPWS tells you about it with a varying degree of urgency depending on the predicted time to impact. Most times a safe altitude has been selected but the GPWS doesnt know your descent is stopping there so it starts shouting.

Obviously I dont know for sure thats what happened but it does happen and is imho the most likely explanation.