PDA

View Full Version : A career as a Civilian Loadmaster!

NDW
5th Jun 2011, 13:59
Good afternoon all,

This is my first post in this section so I apologise in advance if similar posts have appeared previously.

As the title denotes, I am looking for a career as a Civilian Loadmaster.

I previously applied to HM Forces, but due to the SDSR Cuts, I could be in for a 2-3 year wait, and I am keen to kick start a career in Aviation as Flightcrew.

I have been looking around Airlines and contacting them to see what would be required for me to begin a career as a Loadie.

I am only 19, I am young but I am very very motivated and determined to make flying a career.

Since leaving school in 2008, I have worked as a Operations Assistant (Unpaid volunteer) at a local flying club and did two weeks of Work Ex. also for another flying school.

I was in the Air Training Corps for 5 years and flew in many aircraft including a C-130, Seaking (SAR), Griffin HT1 and Grob Tutors and Viking T1's.

Any help and advice would be so very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Beer_n_Tabs
5th Jun 2011, 14:54
Unfortunately NDW, loadie jobs seem to be rarer and rarer these days.

I dont know it these guys are recruiting or not or if they have a training / apprenticeship scheme, but my dealings with them in the past were always very good.

Wickes Air Services (http://www.wickesair.com/CargoServices.asp)

I notice you are UK so Wickes might be worth contacting.

Best of luck

NDW
5th Jun 2011, 15:25
Unfortunately NDW, loadie jobs seem to be rarer and rarer these days.

I dont know it these guys are recruiting or not or if they have a training / apprenticeship scheme, but my dealings with them in the past were always very good.

Wickes Air Services (http://www.wickesair.com/CargoServices.asp)

I notice you are UK so Wickes might be worth contacting.

Best of luck

Thank for the quick reply & I have recently contacted Wickes and I look forward to hearing from them (hopefully in due course).

Has anyone had dealings with Wickes before and do they recruit directly?

Thanks,

Nathan

grounded27
6th Jun 2011, 21:36
Best wishes man, as a flight mech of many years a Loadmaster was allways my partner. I had no problem watching the load, picking up a flight plan etc as my partner did the W&B and he/she was there to hold a flashlight for me when needed. We worked hard together to get home or to the hotel ASAP.

aviatorhi
7th Jun 2011, 08:35
From what I've seen, most companies which currently employ loadmasters do so on the operations side rather than the aircraft side.

Essentially you're stuck on the ground doing weight and balance and load planning all day long, sometimes monitoring a load. They only get in the aircraft if it's going to an offline station (aka. not a normal stop). A few still do employ load-masters on the aircraft though, but just like flight engineers (yours truly) we're a rarer and rarer breed. Unless there's an extremely good pay package or advancement is an option I wouldn't be starting a career as either one these days.

NDW
7th Jun 2011, 10:14
Thanks for all your replies.

I have been in contact with Wickes Air & they have stated that they may be recruiting for Loadmasters in the near future.

I do have Aviation Operations experience (1-2 years - Not alot I agree), but I have the enthusiasm and commitment.

I'm only 19 and this would be a fantastic opportunity and I'd like to thank would open up doors for the future.

Kind regards

good spark
7th Jun 2011, 16:25
NDW

dont do it, run for the door and keep going!

gs

JW411
7th Jun 2011, 16:55
I don't know why anyone on this forum is trying to encourage you.

There is absolutely no prospect of you ever making a living as a beginner in what is an almost extinct occupation.

More's the pity, in my opinion.

TSUP
7th Jun 2011, 20:26
Get yourself working on the ground as a flight dispatcher for either a handling agent or an airline pref getting trained in full weight and balance and see what happens ! The closest thing a lot of people get these days is being trained as a royal mail dispatcher

freightdoggy dog
7th Jun 2011, 21:01
NDW...All good advice above, however as JW411 points out, its extremely hard to get into, especially when there are so many good Loadies out there that are out of work.

Start on the ramp with a GH or in an airline, then get into dispatch and get a good grounding in M+B.

Good luck fella

TSUP...remind me again who was the Lion King in DSA...:eek: Lol

NDW
9th Jun 2011, 10:09
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it greatly.