PDA

View Full Version : Approach to stall recovery in B738

Tin-Tin
3rd Jun 2011, 17:08
Any tips on nailing the altitude during a approach to stall exercise in the B738 sim with flaps 5 and 25degree bank?

NZScion
3rd Jun 2011, 22:20
Any tips on nailing the altitude during a approach to stall exercise in the B738 sim with flaps 5 and 25degree bank?

Altitude? Do it at low altitude and you will recover more easily due to having greater thrust available.

If you want to know about nose attitude I'm sure someone with experience on type will be along to help.

Tin-Tin
4th Jun 2011, 09:07
I am busy with my initial B738 rating.
What attitude do I have to fly for an approach to stall exercise in order to maintain
10 000 feet? We are not allowed to lose any height during the exercise.Ground contact is an factor.. During my first attempt I fell out of the sky like a ton of bricks!
We do the exercise with flaps set at 5 degrees and 25 degree bank. The FCTM does not describe this exercise.. Any help will be appreciated!

Checkboard
4th Jun 2011, 10:09
As the speed slows, the attitude increases - there is no one fixed attitude. Perhaps the "trick" is in knowing that increasing G increases the stall speed so don't "jerk" the stick at any point, be smooth in increasing the attitude, or the sim will rush into the stall on you. Recover at the first stick shake indication - if you are quick with your recovery, you can ignore any silly advice from the back about "holding the recovery for a bit longer" :hmm:, or "let it fully develop":rolleyes:

A37575
4th Jun 2011, 11:55
What attitude do I have to fly for an approach to stall exercise in order to maintain
10 000 feet? We are not allowed to lose any height during the exercise.Ground contact is an factor.

If you are talking about practicing this manoeuvre at 10,000 ft in the real aeroplane, then I can understand your question.

But if you are practicing in a simulator then 10,000 ft is a bit timid and few airports to which you will fly are at 10,000 ft.

On the other hand, surely it is more realistic to conduct the manoeuvre (simulator) at 500 feet agl or or below where ground contact is imminent.

I recall from another era that the old Boeing instructor hand book assumed some operators did not have access to simulators and that 10,000 ft was safe enough in the real aircraft. Bit silly though to be practicing these things at 10,000 ft in a simulator.

Checkboard
4th Jun 2011, 13:17
There is a psychological disadvantage to showing pilot's their own simulated death should they fail the procedure. :bored:

Tin-Tin
4th Jun 2011, 15:51
Thank you Checkboard! did approach stall in the sim today and went well. Previously I got a fright at stick shaker and jerked the controls.. That was the reason for falling out of the sky!!

B777Heavy
4th Jun 2011, 16:29
Try maintaining pitch at intermittent stick shaker while you recover

Sciolistes
4th Jun 2011, 22:16
Interesting. Your TRTO is out of date. The "Approach to Stall" manouevre has been replaced by the "Approach to Stall or Stall Recovery" manouevre for which the accent is now on reducing AoA and not minimising altitude loss by prioritising adding thrust.

• Initiate the recovery: • Hold the control column firmly. • Disconnect autopilot and autothrottle. • Smoothly apply nose down elevator to reduce the angle of attack until buffet or stick shaker stops. Nose down stabilizer trim may be needed.*

rubik101
6th Jun 2011, 16:20
If you do the recovery with the engines at idle or close to it then you will almost certainly need to hold the nose where it is and then apply some forward pressure to prevent excessive pitch up and hence aggravating the stall situation. I suspect that is why you lost altitude, don't try to regain height until you have sufficient speed to convert to a positive rate of climb.