View Full Version : Camping Holiday Eire or Northern France?

delaneyslad
1st Jun 2011, 15:26
Hi Guys and Girls
Wondering whether (with all the experience out there) if anyone had any ideas about a camping holiday where I can take the plane (PA28 Arrow) and my good lady wife, to airfields where they don't mind you camping out at the same time?
There are some great places in Ireland though I don't know if you can 'camp under the wing' but don't know where to go? I guess France would be the same. Since we live on the South Coast France would be ideal, but my love of the Irish hospitality takes me there too!!
Any ( constructive) advice would be greatly appreciated!:ok:

dublinpilot
1st Jun 2011, 17:51
The weather in Northern France on any given week is probably more likley to be VFR than in Ireland.

However if you're planning on camping, then you don't have any hotels to prebook, so you could always plan both trips, and if the weather for the week/weekend that you are planning looks good, then head for Ireland, and if it doesn't look so good, then head for France.

rans6andrew
1st Jun 2011, 21:21
I have camped at Abbeville and Redon, both in northern France. Nobody turned a hair. Redon is short of facilities unless you can catch a local with a key to the clubhouse and persuade them to "forget to lock up" as they leave. Abbeville has a motel/restaurant on site so if the weather turns you can take a room. There is also Quiberon, a bit further (OK a lot further) west where there is a good campsite within walking distance of the airfield.

Further down, I know folk who have stopped over at Chartres and were allowed to camp on the field. We have camped at Blois, during the microlight show. The French seem to be OK with people turning up and just camping, you only pay a normal, (low!) landing fee and there is no charge for overnight parking or camping. Having said that, we have camped at airfields in England and not been charged either so I guess it is much the same either side of the channel. Maybe they don'tknow how to respond to microlighters so they just let us get on with it.

If you want a dry run, a few folk are camping at Brimpton this Saturday so as to be in really good time for the fly-in on Sunday.

Rans6...