View Full Version : London roundtrip and recording

screetch
1st Jun 2011, 10:16
Hi there
I want to fly from Elstree towards Canterbury and then along the coast toward Shoreham where we wanna stop and head to the beach before continuing on towards
Popham and then back home.

Anybody done this trip or has any recommendations or experiences with Shoreham?

is anybody using a cam system to record their flights? I used to just take my camera and my girlfriend made pictures or put the camera on the dashboard to film the landing etc. I was now looking at action cams that have a better video quality...
anybody any ideas?

The500man
1st Jun 2011, 15:01
Have a look at Helmet camera | Sports camera | Head camera | Helmet cam | Bullet camera (http://www.sport-cam.co.uk). I bought the HD720/DVR system. They have some full HD cams available now as well.

There's a couple of my vids on this page if you wanna have at look at the quality I get with the HD720: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/111332-personal-flying-videos-29.html

I did have to modify the microphone to get sound though. I was placing it in my headset but it was so high gain that the volume level in the aircraft caused it to cut-out.

Fuji Abound
1st Jun 2011, 22:02
Screetch

Shoreham

Check on any closures. Unexpected closures are possible due to shortage of ATCers.

The beach from Shoreham is a short(ish) walk. Turn right out of the main terminal, follow the road under the low tunnel and straight ahead. Sadly the beach is not great, pebbles and not very attractive, but there is water and it is a beach. If you want a beach Bembridge or Sandown would be far better bets.

vfr-uk
1st Jun 2011, 22:31
HD GoPro's are pretty solid. Not used it flying, but have recorded a few cycle tours. You can get loads of mounts for them for fixing to various places.
can do fisheye or wide.

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports (http://gopro.com/)

AdamFrisch
1st Jun 2011, 23:30
Should be a nice trip.

Tight squeeze around Stapleford/Dartford crossing, so be on point with your navigation there. After that it eases up. Manston will often grant overfly if they're not too busy. Around Lydd and Folkestone there are a couple of smaller danger areas to avoid, but you can check in with Lydd and see if they're active. Onwards to Hastings, Eastbourne and Brighton is a nice trip with no gotchas.

Like mentioned, Shoreham apparently has some ATC staffing problems, but when they're in it's a nice and friendly airfield. Can get busy on sunny weekends, though.

The500man
2nd Jun 2011, 08:54
Just had a look at the GoPro site. I would be interested to see what the 3D system can do. The cameras do look rather big for mounting on a headset though.

I've wanted in the past to put a camera on the underside of the tail to look down forwards through the landing gear, I bet that would look great in 3D!

EddieHeli
2nd Jun 2011, 23:01
Have a look at the new videos produced by I think the OnTrack team ? They arrived on DVD to all registered pilots I believe but are also available online. Really useful for circumnavigating London and avoiding the controlled airspace.