PDA

View Full Version : Applying for an airline

747 forever
30th May 2011, 00:23
Hi,
when you apply for an airline do you get to choose what position to apply for?
Like say you wanted to be a 737 F/O do you get to choose that position?
Or does the airline train you to fly what they want you to fly?

Gravox
30th May 2011, 00:47
G'day 747,
It depends on the airline that you are applying to. At my previous airline i had a choice of either 737FO or 744SO. I choose the 737 position and got it.
When i moved to my current airline they asked me what my aircraft preference was, but didn't get it.

Usually airlines will place you where they need you at the time. The important thing is if you're offered any position within an airline, take it!! Don't wait until they offer you what you want. It's all about seniority. Once you are in the airline you may be able to swap fleets after a while.

Good Luck with the application

747 forever
30th May 2011, 01:34
thanks,
do airlines show what positions are open? Say if I was looking to be a 737 F/O and there was an airline with that position, would they let me have it?
I was looking at TNTs application and on the application it gave a choice of a 757 777 747 position.

galaxy flyer
30th May 2011, 02:04
Very nearly every airline works on a seniority list. New hires are assigned to either the junior equipment or where vacancies exist. No line offers seats or allows applicants to ask for what equipment they want to fly.

747 forever
30th May 2011, 04:53
how often do you get the opportunity to upgrade the A/C you fly? Also if junior what if you apply and there is vacancy to a big A/C?

747 forever
30th May 2011, 08:05
yet again the seniors often get to choose what they want to fly and they go for short haul so they can stay with there families so it gives us noobs a better chance of getting the long haul

galaxy flyer
31st May 2011, 02:29
There will periodic "system" bids where you can bid on location, plane and "seat" (captain, first officer, etc); most likely quarterly or semi-annually. Once you move to a new plane, there will be a "lock in" period during which you cannot change planes again, thus preventing career students, typically 24 months or a higher paying plane or captain upgrade.

What you fly depends on how pay is structured. In the US, it is established by speed and gross weight, so the senior guys take all the high paying wide body positions. If pay is the same for all planes, you would be right, the senior guys would take whatever works the least, but everyone is different. Seniority is like money in the bank, spend it as you please. If you are number ONE, you have anything you like; if number LAST, hope you reserve, flying on holidays, in the right seat of a 737/A320 in and out of the hub airport.

Denti
31st May 2011, 10:42
It really depends on each airline. In "my" outfit pilots are asked which equipment they prefer (A320 or 737), however typerating slots are distributed on fleet demands, if someone isn't happy with the type he gets a shot at he can take the chance and wait for a chance on the other one. First bids go to in-house cadets where the typerating is part of their initial license training (MPL).

Currently longhaul flying is possible for pilots on the A320 only as the longhaul fleet is A330 and flown in mixed fleet flying with the small one. However our company council currently works on a scheme to give boeing pilots the possibility to switch fleets. In the future the same is planned however for the boeing fleet anyway, mixed fleet flying 737 and 787s.

Every bid is done on seniority of course.

747 forever
31st May 2011, 21:46
so can you bid when ever you want or does it happen from time to time? Also how does it work?

747 forever
31st May 2011, 21:47
also how does seniority come in? Most people applying are new?

747 forever
2nd Jun 2011, 09:10
do cadet pilots get to choose what plane to fly?

dlx_xlb
14th Nov 2011, 17:37
Pretty much all airlines have an entry point for their pilots regardless of what experience background you come from..

for QF - SO on A330 744 or A380
DJ - FO on one of their 737's
JQ - FO on the A320 etc..

Seniority basically works on how long you have been with the airline (start date) and how good and well behaved you have been...

In terms of being able to choose your position and aircraft, Yes you have a say and you can bid, but it all comes down to managements decision and vacancies I'm sure management will always try their best to give you your preferred aircraft and basing, however its not always possible. And preference comes down to the seniority list regarding who gets what

40&80
15th Nov 2011, 18:18
747 I think you are a very clever wind up merchant and very naughty getting nice guys all fired up trying to answer your questions and treat you as genuine...just a feeling I have.:ok:

11Fan
16th Nov 2011, 00:11
40&80,

Several months back I questioned it myself, but after reading a number of his posts I've come to the conclusion that he's just an enthusiastic young pup. Quite innocent I'm sure. Most kids nowadays could not care less. He's found an interest and is pursuing it. There's enough folks here willing to oblige him his questions. Actually, I wish I had his interest level at such a young age.

747 forever,
Press on young man.

747 forever
16th Nov 2011, 21:25
Thanks 11Fan, you figured it out ;)

747 forever
17th Nov 2011, 08:25
oh yes and as a matter of fact Im about to start my duke of Edinburgh and that will look good on my CV. It will also look good on any application form, if you get gold awards you have a much better chance of getting an interview