PDA

View Full Version : Rudder pedals - foot position?

galleypower
29th May 2011, 18:45
There seems to be some confusion among pilots in regards to where to place the feet on the rudder pedals during take-off and landing. Should the heels rest on the cockpit floor or should the feet be fully up on the pedal?
What is your point of view on this? ...aircraft equipped with anti-skid system...

RTN11
29th May 2011, 19:27
Really depends on the aircraft. For a student in a PA28 / C172 heels on the floor is always good practice to avoid inadvertently applying the brakes. More experienced pilots may keep the heels up so the brakes are needed if you have to abort a take off.

A lot of aircraft have heel brakes, so then it's probably the opposite.

Genghis the Engineer
29th May 2011, 21:30
Some aeroplanes have hand-operated brakes, others have no brakes - some have nowhere to put your heels but the floor, and some have stirrups that give you no choice but to plant your feet firmly on the pedals at all times.

On the whole, this surely is down to the instructor, familiar with the type, converting a pilot to a particular cockpit, to provide appropriate advice about.

G

captainsuperstorm
30th May 2011, 06:41
on small planes, heel on floor, on big bus, keep your feet up.
the reason is on jet 0.1-0.3 seconds break delay, can burn hundred meters of runway.

Whopity
30th May 2011, 07:25
With a pair of size 12s you aren't left with a lot of choice!

DB6
30th May 2011, 08:45
Doesn't matter as long as you can operate the rudder to full travel and apply toe brakes as well, if fittted. Some instructors may say 'heels on floor to prevent inadvertent brake application', but that should only be for the first trip or so until you learn how to use the brakes. They tend to more important when taking off and landing than during flight, so you should be ready to use them at those times.

Whopity
30th May 2011, 09:44
I recall an FI renewal test where the FI said to the examiner " Feet on the Ground Bloggs" The FIE closed the throttle applied full brake, opened the door and stepped out, much to the surprise of the FI. "What are you doing?" he said. "Following your instructions" said the FIE.

galleypower
30th May 2011, 10:52
Thank you all for your answers. They make sense. Since I haven't flown many different types in my career yet, I needed some confirmation.

RENURPP
30th May 2011, 12:04
I support the heels on the floor and toes clear of brakes for the following reasons.

During take off, you should only be using brakes during stopping, certainly not directional control.
Inadvertent braking will affect your take off run required TORR.
Performance charts make allowance for time to recognize a failure at V1 and then initiate braking. (assuming multi engine) This time takes into account sliding your feet a couple of inches up to the brakes, so rejecting a take off is not a valid reason for feet being on the brakes.
Using brakes in a tailwheel aircraft will bring you to grief.

I personally find using the pedals much easier with my heels firmly on the floor.

I also keep my feet ( toes) clear of the brakes during the landing, until the aircraft is well and truly on the ground.
I use this technique for light aircraft and jets.