PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of Bose-X headsets

Genghis the Engineer
26th May 2011, 09:57
My organisation has about two dozen sets of Bose-X headsets that we've had for about 2 years. In use, they're light, comfortable, and we think they're wonderful.

However, the damned things keep failing - with such regularity that at any time we've probably got 4+ sent off for repair: mostly cracking of various plastic components, but also a reasonable selection of electrical failures.

Has anybody else got similar experience of this? I wonder if it might not be more widely noticed because Bose-X tend mostly to be personal rather than fleet equipment but we're not using them in a particularly severe environment so I can't imagine it's just us.

G

porch monkey
26th May 2011, 10:17
Mine did 2 years and about 800 hrs in cheiftains on night freight, and have now done 3 + years and 2400 hrs in a 737. Only problem to report is a recent electrical issue, some static and selective switching between stereo and mono, suspect broken wires/connectors. Only started after I accidentally shut the window on the cable! New cable fixed it. Nil other to complain about.

pete3
26th May 2011, 17:12
I've owned a Bose-X privately for several years. The rotating plastic microphone boom broke once. This would have been expensive (about $400), but thankfully Bose covered it under their excellent guarantee. Next time it will have to come out of my pocket. Now I'm very careful to watch how I move and position the microphone before returning the Bose to my flight bag. While the Bose-X is a great headset for private use, I'm not so sure about its suitability as company equipment. Not that people are careless; it's just not as rugged as a Davis Clark and parts like the microphone and wiring are more vulnerable to damage than most pilots would expect. I've owned three Davis Clarks for passengers for over 20 years and only ever had to replace covers and pads on those.

Intruder
26th May 2011, 17:34
The other day my FO took his out of the case and found the swivel bracket holding one of the earpieces to the headband had broken. Just prior to pushback was not a good time to find it...

Will88
27th May 2011, 22:45
I treat mine with kid gloves and even with that it has various little hairline cracks appearing in the earpiece brackets.

I'd imagine if it was a "company" item that people didn't treat with a lot of care (not necessarily abuse, just normal wear and tear) it would get pretty knackered pretty quickly.

:suspect:

low n' slow
30th May 2011, 17:13
I've had mine since 2006 now and the only thing I can report is a broken battery hatch. It still closes and stays locked, but comes off when open. Excellent headset in my opinion.

/LnS

jeff spicoli
2nd Jun 2011, 04:01
every pilot that i know who has owned a Bose has found something wrong with it, it's broken several times, had to send it back to the shop to get fixed, etc.

most of them are lured by the fancy ANR and lightweight stuff. but if it keeps on beaking, what's the use?

i've had my old DCs for 20+ years for my GA flying. i've dropped them numerous times and a tug and myself have both actually, by accident, run them over (tug on the ramp and me in the parking lot forgetting that i had placed them on my rear bumper and fogetting about them) and they've never lost a step in quality and usefulness.

in my experience, the Bose guys get fed up with constantly sending in their headsets for repair and eventually switching to something more durable.

Tourist
2nd Jun 2011, 18:09
But they are lovely though....

MrBernoulli
3rd Jun 2011, 00:12
I am hearing very good things about this headset but cannot say how durable it is compared to the Bose - looks solid, though.

New Zulu Series - Lightspeed Aviation - ANR, Passive and In-the-ear pilot headsets (http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/New_Zulu_Series/subgrouping.htm?cat=32797)

Nikai
3rd Jun 2011, 00:54
I purchased my Bose headset around 2006 and cracks appeared around the earpieces not too long ago, there was actually a fault with some of the headsets around that time and rather than recalling the headsets the repairs were covered by the supplier under warranty. I think they replaced the earpiece supports and the central part of the headband, as good as new now!