PDA

View Full Version : U.S. airlines, phantom in the air.

CFIT
4th Jan 2001, 08:56
I've been observing for quite sometime now. Why is it that the U.S. airlines always have their logo lights turned off on the ground when flying outside the U.S. Is this to reduce the chance of a terrorist attack? Is this a standard procedure set by the airlines. All you American pilots out there, shed me some light please.

Former_SLUF_Driver
4th Jan 2001, 10:56
Considering how every known country this side of the International Date line hates our guts, I would endevour a guess; it's for security reasons.

Back in the mid eighties in the middle of all the pissing contests we carried on with every Middle East sand dune, oil field, Holiday Inn and 7/11 quickie store we could locate, repulse and or piss off we had some imposing security in the Med. The like of which most NATO countries were very repulsed by.

Some of which is still implemented today, one simple items you pointed out was sanctioned by out State Department in the early eighties was not to advertise to everyone; HEY WE ARE HERE COME AND BLOW US UP!!!

I served aboard the USS America from 1983-84 and the USS Ranger 1986-87. During my first cruise we had a 56 man SEAL detachment aboard and at the height of the terrorist threat, two DELTA units stayed with the portable wars and Marine Expeditionary Units in the Med.

So yes we are somewhat apprehensive…

Admit nothing
Deny everything
And lie like hell

SLUF

Anthony2107
5th Jan 2001, 04:04
SLUF,

Just a general question - out of curiosity that is. Not to sound like I'm interrogating but can I ask what you flew aboard the USS Ranger ? Were you in on the CAPs ?
Did your fighters encounter any actual hostilities up in the air leading to a dogfight? - fill me in I'm interested.

A2107

[This message has been edited by Anthony2107 (edited 05 January 2001).]