PDA

View Full Version : Take-Off Performance

Pejobo
24th May 2011, 02:53
I was looking at some charts (field length vs. still air range) regarding the Avro RJ's take-off performance (but I guess it would also apply to other aircraft) and it looks to me like the take-off length needed has quite a significant impact on range. Is this a correct interpretation of the charts?

If so, I'm assuming that it's because you burn a lot of fuel when you do a steep take off? I guess this makes sense but I wasn't expecting to see such a drastic reduction in range.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?

Thanks!

Cartman's Twin
24th May 2011, 06:09
G'day

I'm no pilot, I be a ATC bloke, but take of run available has a significant impact on range as the shorter the possible run, the lighter the aircraft has to be, so the less payload (pax / freight and FUEL) the aircraft can safely carry. Less fuel, lower range.

F=Ma and all that. If the F of the engines remains the same, the higher the M, the lower the acceleration. Slower acceleration needs more runway to reach the same speed.

Also as the lift created is a function of the speed, to lift a heavier mass you need greater lift and therefore speed. So it's a compounded issue. Higher mass, slower acceleration but a higher speed needed for lift off!

mutt
24th May 2011, 09:34
Try looking at the charts differently, enter with the runway length available, that will give you the takeoff weight which in turn will give you the payload /range.

Mutt

Old Smokey
24th May 2011, 09:52
Short Runway = Limited Takeoff Weight = Reduced Fuel and/or Payload = Reduced Range.

Nothing to do with "you burn a lot of fuel when you do a steep take off".

Regards,

Old Smokey

Pejobo
25th May 2011, 09:56
Thanks everyone!