PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Help on becoming an ATCO

hammerthrower
18th May 2011, 21:01
Hi guys, I posted on here a bout a year ago looking for some advice on becoming an ATCO. I have left school now aged 17 and looking for some advice on what to do next? I have applied to both university's and colleges but I am still unsure on what to do next (academic) year.
I have applied to to instrumentation engineering and aerospace systems engineering at university and have also applied to study aircraft engineering at college witch I can progress to degree level.
I am looking for the best way for me to become an ATCO. Main main aim is to be selected through NATS and do it that way but I am also wondering how the independent situation is at the moment with regards to non-NATS towers sponsoring candidates? I have also considered joining the RAF as a controller, because to be honest this is what I want to be doing. I would rather do it and get paid half of what a NATS controller gets than be stuck in some job I hate. I have also considered applying to NATS as an engineer, but this would be my second choice if anyone could shed some light on that too?
Anyway I will be extremely grateful for any help or advice
Thanks

Also I am very keen to visit a tower or centre so if anyone could help me with getting in contact with any of the scottish towers or the SACC at Prestwick I would be very grateful!!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th May 2011, 07:05
Not sure why you want to do an engineering degree if you want to be an RAF ATCO as it would have no benefit, other than the fact that you had achieved a degree.

You say that your main aim is to achieve selection through NATS, yet you then say you really want to get into the RAF. Perhaps time to make up your mind? Neither job would be boring in any way, shape or form.

RAF and Civil ATC are quite different. In the RAF you are an officer first and would have to undertake various other duties, perhaps not connected with ATC. For anyone truly wanting to enter the ATC profession in the UK, NATS is the recommended route.

PhiltheReaper
19th May 2011, 08:09
I have no experience other than that I am currently applying as an ATCO to NATS, with my final selection assessment day pending. I am also a Royal Navy ATCO applicant.

How do I view the situation at present?

NATS are recruiting, they expect the aviation sector to grow, so accordingly the ATC sector will grow. If you are smart and have the aptitude, you already have the skills required to apply successfully.

Independent training
I haven't looked into this too much, as I done have the money lying around to be honest. But I believe it is still as expensive as ever. I haven't heard of many towers sponsoring people out of the blue. I think most of those situations are people who already work at the aerodrome and who they then offer the ATCO job. Other may correct me of course.

Military
Both the RAF and the RN use Air Traffic Controllers and Air Traffic Control Officers.

An Air Traffic Controller is an "other rank", i.e. does not carry a Queen's Commission. These are still skilled controllers, but their level of responsibility is not expected to be as great as their commissioned counterparts. Their pay is about 10k per annum less, but the job is easier to get into. If you do well early on, there is the option for your Commanding Officer to suggest you for becoming a Commissioned Officer and keeping all of the benefits which that brings.

An Air Traffic Control Officer is a bit closer to the civil aviation role (by my limited understanding). The responsibility level is expected to be higher, i.e. if traffic levels are expected to be higher, an Officer will be on sector.

What's the difference between RN/RAF/Private/Public?

Royal Navy: Fleet Air Arm. It includes the opportunity to work off capital ships such as HMS Ocean and to truly 'travel the world'.

Royal Air Force: Similar types of controlling to the RN largely, however you will always be land-based.

note: For both military applications, the FATS test will be a requirement. Rumour has it, this is easier than the FEAST of civil aviation. I may be able to let you know in a few months time, as I will have done both.

Private: Private airports often employ their own Air Traffic Control Officers. This is said to be a very rewarding job, and offers location security.

Public: NATS is the public ATC provider in the UK, and over parts of the North Atlantic. This large organisation is the only "free" way to train without signing up to a lengthy service contract. NATS uses all types of controllers (good and bad - no I kid..) from Approach and Aerodrome to Area controllers. These jobs I believe differ hugely from one another, and upon application you can never be sure which role you will be asked to fulfil. So if you want to be in a tower, be mindful that NATS may choose to shatter your dream.

NATS is a Public Private Partnership, and as such it needs to make money. The business needs of the company drive its recruitment and posting process. As such, the only way to know where you'll be living before applying, is to work for a private airport. NATS could post you to anywhere in the UK (or Gibraltar I think?). This includes Northern Ireland.

What do I think you should do?
Take a step back for a moment. I can see that you are enthusiastic, and that's great. But you need to be looking at the bigger picture.

Firstly, choose your further education wisely. It is almost always a mistake to study something you do not have an absolute passion for, just in case it helps win a job.

Then, choose your career path. If you are absolutely desperate to control, and are willing to be paid a modest wage for it, becoming a Non-Commissioned Controller might be for you! Compared to any of the other options, it is by far the easiest way to get in the hot seat.

If you want more remuneration for your work, then consider the other options after careful personal research.

No matter what you decide, good luck!

Phil

chevvron
19th May 2011, 10:32
I believe the Navy also have a post called 'Aircraft Controller' used outside territorial limits to provide radar services to aircraft operating between ships; usually a leading rating. But I didn't tell you that.
NB I once did an A/G radio exam for one of these guys; we did the practical part in a simulator of a Type 23 Destroyer's control room; he passed no problem!

Juggler25
19th May 2011, 10:44
How do I view the situation at present?

NATS are recruiting, they expect the aviation sector to grow, so accordingly the ATC sector will grow.Negative....

From the NATS recruitment website:

IMPORTANT - APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED

The continuing very high levels of interest in the opportunity to train as an Air Traffic Controller mean that we have sufficient candidates to meet all our 2011 Trainee Air Traffic Control needs. We have therefore taken the decision to close our recruitment system to all new applicants from 1st April 2011.
Existing applicants are not affected by this announcement and will continue to be assessed for a Trainee role.
Recruitment needs for 2012 and subsequent years will be reviewed in the Autumn and an update will be issued at that time.
We would like to encourage you to pursue your interest in Air Traffic Control, so please continue to view our website www.atcocareers.co.uk (http://www.atcocareers.co.uk/) for future updates.
We hope to receive an application from you for this rewarding career with NATS when our recruitment system re-opens.
Also bear in mind that the NATS courses have dramatically reduced in size over the past 12-18 months, whether this will continue when recruitment re-opens, however, is anybody's guess.

PhiltheReaper
19th May 2011, 19:37
Ahh. Apologies for the out-dated information. I hear on the grape-vine application may re-open later next year.

My two pennies on the degree - it's a great thing to go to university, but I would advise caution in the course you choose. If you're totally up for learning about engineering, and you would do that degree even if they said "we don't look kindly upon that degree subject (hypothetically), then it's the right degree for you.

If you are doing the subject, only because you think it will get you ahead, you may have a bumpy road ahead.

Phil

hammerthrower
21st May 2011, 00:06
thanks for the response guys, It's much appreciated. Heathrow Director, NATS is my main aim and I want to be a civilian controller. I don't particularly want to join the RAF but becoming an ATCO is what I want to do and if that's one of my options I feel I should consider it.
The reason I have chosen to study Aircraft Engineering is because I love aviation. It is my passion. I know I want to be in the aircraft industry, and the idea behind a degree is primarily a back up plan in case I'm not cut out to be an ATCO, not because I feel an engineering degree will be useful in becoming a controller. Another reason for going to university is that when I spoke to a guy from NATS at a careers fair he suggested to me to go out and get some life experience before applying as many young trainees can not cope with others being critical of their work etc.
Anyway thank you very much everyone. It's much appreciated!