PDA

View Full Version : Difference in insurance for light jets to fly single piloted or 2 pilots

yau2801
15th May 2011, 16:58
Hi all, I am quite new to this forum so I am not too sure if I am posting this in the right section. Anyway, I am writing a Final Year Project about single pilot operation, and I am trying to talk about insurance factors that could affect the possibility of the implementation of the idea.
I wanted to use the cost of insurance that applies to today's light jet, like the Citation I which can fly with two pilot but also single pilot, I wanted to know the approximate cost difference for insurance between the two, to give a good idea how expensive it can be when the size of operation is scaled up, and to determine if it is worth it saving one pilot's salary but to pay a sky-high insurance cost.

Cheers,
Mike

con-pilot
15th May 2011, 17:09
I cannot give you an exact figure, as I am retired. However, usually the insurance rate for a single pilot operaton is no where near the cost of hiring a second pilot.

Now, that being said, the cost of single pilot coverage does depend a lot on the age and experience of the single pilot being covered. With a young and low experienced pilot the rates will be higher that with a more mature and experienced pilot. Also many insurance companies will require a second pilot for a given time, say one hundred hours in the aircraft with the other pilot, before insuring the low time pilot to fly single pilot.

You might try the Biz Jet forum as well.

yau2801
15th May 2011, 17:18
Thanks for your information, I do know that to be qualified as a commander, the pilot will need to log around 700hrs if I haven't got it wrong.
But would there be comparable figures that anyone can offer, it might be pilots from the same age or same experience, it doesn't need to be accurate, as long as the figure is approximately valid.