PDA

View Full Version : Simulation.. Good or Bad?

GooseBall
4th Apr 2001, 02:00
A general question,

I posted a thread on the Grob flight simulator a day or so ago and there wasn't much response to it so I am asking a more general question..

Do you think simulation, even on a simple level, supplements flight training significantly enough to become part of the syllabus at an early stage?

expedite_climb
4th Apr 2001, 13:19
Yes.

I'm assuming you are talking MS Flt Sim sort of level.

PPL Level - it help's to some extent, however it shouldn't be taken to seriously. I've had student's flying circuits with me flare at 50 ft because they had been flying jets on MS Flt sim more than previously !

IMC / IR level - Most definately helps with understanding of VOR / ADF and procedures. Use the autopilot, you cant get any handing skills really. I used it before my IR and new all the procedures at all the airfields inside out, leaving free space, mentally, for other problems.

COmmercial - Simple sims, not really, a Fixed base sim is often used for simple SOP learning, and if it is a functional fixed and no graphics sim, it is ideal for technical knowledge learning. This is how most conversion courses are done on big jets.

GooseBall
5th Apr 2001, 00:26
Thank you all for your support,

If anyone would be willing to help by filling out a very simple questionnaire on the subject then please email me at

[email protected]

Any data used will be included in my dissertation and would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks again
GB

Frederic
5th Apr 2001, 13:16
Go to simshop and get 744 Precision simulator from Aerowinx. That'll open your eyes!!! An amazing bit of kit. I'm surprised it is not used yet to supplement real 747-400 sim sessions.

Tiger_ Moth
7th Apr 2001, 01:49
I would say that on a non instrument level it can help a fair bit in that it will get you used to the basic principles, especially if you have a stick and rudder pedals and will give you a small headstart but is not really something you could learn to fly in.As the other guy said, it could help learning on instrument training. By the way im talking about widely availaible sims her: MS fs etc.....not some great big concorde full cockpit thing