PDA

View Full Version : How do new planes get from factory to their base?

DISCOKID
3rd Apr 2001, 16:06
Hi

On Airline last night Stelios was at Boeing in Seattle inspecting his new 737s with his Chief Engineer.

How are these planes then delivered to Easyjets base in the UK. Do Easyjet pilots get to go out to Seattle and fly them back, or would Boeing pilots deliver them to Stansted. What route would be used for a 737 across the pond.

Also - how are short range planes delivered from manufacturers?

Mr Crabtree
3rd Apr 2001, 16:59
They fly, up through newfoundland across greenland then to iceland making one stop for fuel, I'd imagine easy jet pilots would fly it.

------------------
Jake the Snake
a.k.a "The Crab"

SLT
3rd Apr 2001, 17:50
When we have aircraft delivered, it's usually the Fleet Technical Captain who goes to get it, sometimes with an FO, but sometimes with a senior Captain eg. a Fleet Manager - especially if it's a good trip!!

vipero
3rd Apr 2001, 19:47
They are disassembled, delivered by DHL or UPS then reassembled at home...

Ciao
Paolo

airforcenone
4th Apr 2001, 01:07
If you're very lucky and the management guys don't nick the trips, you get to go and pick one up! Unfortunately, I was really looking forward to a few days in Seattle to pick up a new 737-800 but my lot bought Airbus instead so it was a day trip to Hamburg. At least it made a change!

Fast Jet Wannabe
5th Apr 2001, 02:15
It would be pretty embarrassing all round if the Boeing or the easyJet pilots did deliver the new plane to Stansted!

I don’t expect that would go down well with Stelios!

Silkman
5th Apr 2001, 03:09
DISCOKID
Some manufacturers ferry the aircraft themselves for some airlines,i.e. DHC ex Downsview in Canada.Dash 8's are regularly seen ferrying through NCL and MAN on delivery using DHC flight numbers.A recent example was a Dash 8 on it's way to Japan via NCE then via Brindisi,Egypt,Sharjah,India,Nepal etc,etc.I gues it would take about a week to get there from Canada.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Apr 2001, 17:49
...and I always thought they were posted in Jiffy bags..