PDA

View Full Version : Moscow ATC

EGCC4284
13th May 2011, 10:40
Flying to Moscow's Domodedovo airport at the weekend. Never flown anywhere in Russia before. I believe that they use metres and not feet, and they don't use the phrase altitude, but height instead. Can someone advise me, if they say Descend to height 3000 metres, do they want height above airfield or height above sea level based on us converting the QFE they give us to QNH ?

Denti
13th May 2011, 11:10
It is height above aerodrome as the use QFE operation. For those of us unable to do so we have to convert that into QNH and fly accordingly. Charts by respected chart suppliers have all the relevant information as for example threshold correction factor to QNH, conversion tables between QFE and QNH etc. Helps of course to have a metric altimeter or the possibility to display both meters and feet on your flight instruments.

EGCC4284
13th May 2011, 11:24
Got the charts with the relevant information on, just wasn't sure if they use the word height instead of altitude. Got metric display availible too. The airfield we are flying too, our part C brief tells us to add 22 hPa to correct the QFE to QNH. Sounds like a bit of a ball ache to me.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th May 2011, 16:41
You have probably done it by now, but the controllers usually clear you to either a FL, i.e. FL3100m or a height i.e. 900m, with the associated QFE. Transition Level seems to hover around 1500m.

Let us know how you got on, Moscow can alway be good fun :ugh:.