PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Language Proficiency - German

Birdle
13th May 2011, 09:37
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of PPRuNe,

I have been trawling the internet for information about ICAO Level 4 in German. There is plenty about ICAO Level 4 in English but not German. I have possibly though been looking in the wrong places.

Please can anybody help me with information about Level 4 German? Links, PMs will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Birdle

Nightrider
15th May 2011, 18:21
and for which reason do you want this one? I doubt that you will find anything at all...

Lon More
15th May 2011, 18:41
If it's not an ICAO language it's not going to be covered..
DFS set their own standards for use on German language freqs. at some airfields

Spitoon
15th May 2011, 18:42
and for which reason do you want this one?Presumably because the OP wants a job where there is a local language requirement.

If it's not an ICAO language it's not going to be covered. Rubbish! In the EU such things (for controllers) are governed by the provisions of the ATCO Directive....for the moment anyway. The Directive requires English language proficiency but also recognises that local language proficiency may be needed and allows the State to require this where necessary. Hence the potential need to assess language skills other than English.

Danscowpie
15th May 2011, 19:07
Birdle, Spitoon is absolutely correct.

Hopefully I can help you, check your PMs.

Lon More
15th May 2011, 22:50
Rubish! In the EU such things (for controllers) are governed by the provisions of the ATCO Directive

ICAO does not lay down any standard in German, which was the original question. As a controller working in Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany I never had to meet any minimum standard in any language other than English and french.

Spitoon
16th May 2011, 04:39
The requirements set out in ICAO Annex 1 are less specific than those in the EU Directive which is why I mentioned the Directive (which itself uses the scale specified by ICAO for assessing proficiency). If it helps, the ICAO Standard is1.2.9.2 Air traffic controllers and aeronautical station operators shall demonstrate the ability to speak and understand the language used for radiotelephony communications.
1.2.9.4 As of 5 March 2008, aeroplane, airship, helicopter and powered-lift pilots, air traffic controllers and aeronautical station operators shall demonstrate the ability to speak and understand the language used for radiotelephony communications to the level specified in the language proficiency requirements in Appendix 1.
1.2.9.6 As of 5 March 2008, the language proficiency of aeroplane, airship, helicopter and powered-lift pilots, air traffic controllers and aeronautical station operators who demonstrate proficiency below the Expert Level (Level 6) shall be formally evaluated at intervals in accordance with an individual’s demonstrated proficiency level.
There is no reference to the language in question - presumably because the standard for language to be used for radiotelephony communications is that normally used by the station on the ground or English.

The original question was where to get a proficiency test for German - a perfectly reasonable question, particularly for someone working TWR or at a 'small' airport where the German language is routinely used. The same question should probably be being asked about every other lanuage (except English). The answer, unfortunately, is not so easy - I'm not aware of any publicly available tests that could be taken. DFS is the most obvious place to start or, if you want to avoid DFS for some reason, try Austrocontrol or skyguide (or their respective NSAs).

alwaysmovin
16th May 2011, 19:17
I did the German proficiancy test 2 years ago and it is basically structured the same as the ICAO english proficiency test. It is necessary in Germany if you work lower airspace as pilots are officially allowed to use German R/T in certain instances. I'm sure the DFS would be able to supply an example. If you need any more info just PM me

Birdle
17th May 2011, 07:39
Thank you all for your replies. I think alwaysmovin hit the nail on the head as to why German ICAO Level 4 was mentioned as a prerequisite along with English ICAO Level 4.

Thank you Spitoon for your info - I think I'll get some e-mails sent.

Birdle

alwaysmovin
17th May 2011, 12:16
I forgot to mention that if you do come to work in Germany you will additionally be required to pass a German R/T exam....German native speakers are also required to sit this test. The module used to teach it is based on tower procedures.... as is the test.......which is kind of strange if you aren't a tower controller:-):ugh: