PDA

View Full Version : Advice Welcome!

david_dudley
28th Dec 2000, 10:52
I am a 17 year old A-Level student (UK), also doing my PPL, I have my first solo under my belt. As of yet my plans are not to apply to University as I want to get into a flying career as soon as possible. I have good financial backing (if needed).

My plan is to be an Airline Pilot. I have great GCSE results, and my A Levels will probably leave me with three C's by July 2001. I am confident with people, and confident in interviews. And am able to prove myself to be an aviation enthusiast, and that I have the aptitude through my PPL training.

Will these be enough to be seriously considered by an Airline for sponsorship such as BA? There aren't really any degree courses that I am interested in. I just want to fly. Is the degree important altough BA's requirements do not include a BA as being neccesary.

------------------
Thanks.
David Dudley

justinzider
30th Dec 2000, 05:10
The degree's good if everything goes wrong later. Choose a Uni with an Air Squdron, pretend u wanna join the RAF and get some free flying hours and further education. Apply to the sponsoring airlines in your last year.

Read the back pages of Flight International.

scroggs
1st Jan 2001, 00:18
David, a degree isn't compulsory, but it will sure help! The advice you got in the previous post is sound - university time is rarely a waste, whatever your final career, and the University Air Squadron scheme is an excellent way to get seriously good flying for free while enjoying a damn good social life. Don't dismiss it without having a good look first - the self-improver route is a hell of a lot harder, and the cadet entry schemes are few and far between. And both are a lot more expensive than Uni and the UAS!