PDA

View Full Version : Owning a light aircraft

CaptainCrunch
2nd Apr 2001, 17:35
What-ho, aviator types. I have a brief question which I am sure will not tax your no doubt planetoidoenal brains!
I'm off to sunny South Africa in July to complete a PPL + night and IFR course and, after that, I shan't be working until next year (lucky me). Since I'll want to buzz around the UK and perhaps even brave out the hop over to Le Touquet a few times I think that it would be cheaper for me to but an aircraft for a year or so and then perhaps sell it on (or keep it). As I see it, with hired planes from my local airfield (Southend) running at c. 100 GBP ph ownership seems the best option (I would happily do a syndicate but after a year I'll probably be working abroad and in any case I don't think I could find a group who would want me to fly, say, 20 hours a week, every week.
So, my question is this: If I buy a plane in the 15 to 20 K bracket, how much (and I appreciate that this will be a rough guestimate) would it cost to fly for those 20 hrs a week? I've no idea how much "hangarage", servicing costs or even fuel and insurance comes to. Does it equate to a family saloon for costs (please feel free to collapse laughing if I'm woefully below the mark here).

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Cap'n Crunch
[email protected]

PS. I promise not to cut in on your RT or bash my kite into yours.

[This message has been edited by CaptainCrunch (edited 02 April 2001).]

VivaTheBeaver
3rd Apr 2001, 23:42
I wouldn't advise you to "but an aircraft for a year."(sic) It won't please the owner.

VTB

AC-DC
4th Apr 2001, 18:45
The brake even point is around 100 flying hours a year.
Cost of ownership depends on the aircraft's condition but I think a C152 and a PA38 should cost around £35 p/h.
I can not see you flying 20h a week even if you try.
If I were you I would be very careful with the aircraft that you want to buy. There are many sharks out there.

kabz
4th Apr 2001, 20:33
There is a bunch of stuff on cost of ownership on <a href="http://www.avweb.com">www.avweb.com</a>.

GRpr
4th Apr 2001, 21:49
Captain Crunch

The April edition of Flyer magazine (UK) has an article entitled "Six aircraft under £15K".

Unfortunately, the article only deals with 'direct costs' for each of the selected aircraft, and doesn't attempt to calculate the true cost of ownership, but I think you will find the article interesting reading.

Have a good time in SA! Make sure you allow plenty of time to hire and fly while you're there. The cross country opportunities are superb and the landing fees negligible (Cape Town International was 67p when I visited two years ago and parking for 24 hours came to the princely sum of £1.30, including tie down of the aircraft by apron and car to and from the 172!).

[This message has been edited by GRpr (edited 04 April 2001).]

Tiger_ Moth
7th Apr 2001, 01:55
Before making a rash purchase and buying a common 152 I would advise you to give the thrill of open cockpit flying a chance and get a Tiger Moth. You could get one for about £35,000 which is more than 15-20 k but if you think about it, what kind of a plane would you be getting for that? My "guestimate" would be a possibly dangerous one which could easily end up costing you loads in maintenance and you might even have to get the engine overhauled or something