PDA

View Full Version : Interview checkride in the actual aircraft.

mutt
27th Dec 2000, 13:58
A colleague of mine has just returned from an interview with a major oil corporation. He was going for a B737-200 Captains position following an absence of 10 years.

For the interview they took him for a 2.5 hour check flight in the actual aircraft.

I have never heard of this happening before, has anyone else?

Thanks

Mutt

Virginia Plane
28th Dec 2000, 02:26
While not quite the same size aeroplane, I believe this is standard practice at Aurigny for Shed and Trislander vacancies.

411A
30th Dec 2000, 07:35
Was hired by the Fluor Corp years ago as their Aviation Dept Manager in THR. During the interview, the Chief Pilot says..."lets go for a flight in the GII". As the only jet I had flown to date was the B707 he says..."just fly it like the 707, no problem." Flew to PHX for lunch with an engine out takeoff and landing on the return. Later on they bought a B727 and I was asked if I was interested in flying same. I declined. Exactly 19 months later they sold it (too high profile) and bought a brand new GIII (much more expensive!) and the crew was told goodbye. The GIII was more acceptable to the shareholders as it ..."did not look like an airliner."

TowerDog
30th Dec 2000, 08:14
Well, yes I did an interview / check flight in the real thing: A DC-3 operated by Aero Virgin Islands in St. Thomas, V.I.
My previous time in the -3 was in the right seat, but I had an FAA type rating.
The chief pilot said: Okay, show up around 8 PM when the planes are back for the night, then we go for a ride.
Did my 3 T/O's and landings, engine out after V1, (Empty, no proplem) and came back to the ramp.
The bossman said: I think we can use you.

Next day he gave me the book to go home and study: Come back later for the "written test".
Followed by 25 hours IOE, then "solo" as a 29 year old DC-3 captain.
Probably the best time of my flying life it was: When I later made captain on the B-747 at age 39 I was too busy to enjoy it. :)

Good old days. (1986, 1996.)

If I was a chief pilot and wanted to "Feel"
a new candidate out, I would sure take him for an airplane ride.
Nowadays they have all the fancy interviews with questions like: "Okay, tell us about a time when you a had a conflict in the cockpit and how did you deal with it?"

You can buy books and courses out there with the "right" answers and the "how to" display the good attitude, answers, etc.
Any bullsh!t artist can play the game and get hired.

(I know, I read the books, tooks the courses and got hired with a US Major recently :) )

In the real plane however, ya got to fly and talk while keeping cool.

As the signature says:

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

neil armstrong
30th Dec 2000, 14:57
when i joined BAC Express they did the same.
A couple of T/G in the Shed to show them i had flown the aircraft before.
It's a lot more fun that flying i the sim.

Neil

meslag
2nd Jan 2001, 17:05
air atlantique sponcership.
approx 150hours total time.
Take up for an hour and a half in a taildragger 152. no tailwheel time.
Given what seamed like at the time the fullest of 9 yards, with vfr nav, if nav, ua and up, lost procedure (ie no map and he says "find the field") and some three point and wheeler landings.

but the hardest part was i was been given the interview at the same time. Then he says
"do you have a sense of humour? tell me something funny then"

all i could think of was when my mate took a c**p off a wall and fell butt naked into some stinging nettles.

towser
3rd Jan 2001, 01:35
I got a job once on a HS748 having not flown it for some time by turning up and positioning on a revenue sector and then doing a mock check ride on the way back complete with engine shutdowns (for real!)

------------------
I Came I Saw I Ran Away!

Mattvitale
3rd Jan 2001, 02:42
A friend of mine did an aircraft interview in a 1900 in 1996 at Liberty Airlines. (now part of the Mesa gaggle.) The company I work for does part of their interview in a Level C ATR-72 sim. Basic stuff, but excellent way to see if a new candidate at least has basic skills.