PDA

View Full Version : Royal Flights

aewaite17
10th May 2011, 16:26
Very quick one.... does Kate Middleton (now Duchess of Cambridge) get royal flight status as per the Duchess of Cornwall?

I would have thought so, but nothing on the AIS site.

If not, what process has to happen for this to come into effect?

fisbangwollop
10th May 2011, 16:34
Royal Flights are no longer advised by NOTAM due to security reasons!!!

Only us in the know are advised. :cool::cool::cool:

Foxy Loxy
10th May 2011, 16:37
I'd started a reply to this, thought better of it, then saw fisbang's response.

aewaite, why are you asking?

aewaite17
10th May 2011, 16:40
Will PM Foxy Loxy!

Thanks

-EDIT-

Just to clarify, I am not after particulars, more just supplementation to what the AIP and MATS 1 states. At the moment the list doesn't include her, so I would imagine at the moment any flights with only her on board may be afforded C or D status by the DAP on an individual basis. Just wondered if anyone knows if and when she will be added to the list?

twentypoint4
10th May 2011, 16:45
CAP493 is the place to look for the list, not sure if there's anything in the AIP.

I'm sure she will be added to the list. I would have thought an SI (supplementary Instruction) would have come out by now, but it seems not. Also, in the current version of CAP493 William is on the list as "The Prince William" which I guess will change too?

aewaite17
10th May 2011, 16:50
Exactly as I thought, but 493 was about three months behind ENR 1-1-4-7....

One other question, just to satisfy my curiosity more than anything... Does Prince William have his own callsign as per Leopard and Unicorn? Have often wondered how his royal (civilian flight) status interacted with his OAT SAR status too.....

Foxy Loxy
10th May 2011, 17:23
Got your PM, aewaite, thanks.

My interpretation would be that she will only be travelling on a Royal Flight if she travels with William.
That would be the answer I would give if I had my annual comp check tomorrow.

aewaite17
10th May 2011, 18:29
Many thanks for the replies :-), pretty much the same impression here!

Thanks

Sky blue and black
10th May 2011, 18:50
It takes about 3 months to get something published in the AIP, I wouldn't bother checking it for a while.

Diddley Dee
13th May 2011, 03:29
FBW

Royal Flights are notamed...CAS(T)?

I think what you may be getting confused with is Royal Helicopter Flights ....RLLC notams are not notamed to all and sundry

DD

10W
13th May 2011, 09:25
And for any CAS (T), the good news is that it is Class D and allow VFR flights :ok:

CAS (T) Supplementary Instruction (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493SupplementaryInstruction201101.pdf)

Exascot
13th May 2011, 10:27
Very quick one.... does Kate Middleton (now Duchess of Cambridge) get royal flight status as per the Duchess of Cornwall?

Yes. Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus qualifies.

dcb2008uk
13th May 2011, 21:19
a reply straight from Greece. Is that you Prince Philip? :p

fabs
14th May 2011, 16:45
If he's on a shout I guess his CS would be 'Rescue xxx' rather than a personal one.

Bennyclub
1st Jun 2011, 10:09
Indeed, the Royal SAR Boy uses an op callsign when on a shout. Precautions are taken before winching any casualty, including full check by a sniffer dog and a body cavity and rucksack search, to ensure the local AQ training camp have not put a trainee into difficulties in mountainous terrain. The winchman uses rubber gloves for this as well as any other medical procedure or patient that may need actual attention. Incidentally, top man our Wills. SAR flying is as demanding as it comes and everyone who meets him in the mob tells me what a bloody nice bloke he is as well. Same goes for Apache Boy. Guys if you read prune, give my love to your Gran and Gramp. Diamond geezers those two. :ok:

Lon More
2nd Jun 2011, 12:01
Back when the Chookie Embra and Bigears atempted aviation Purple Airspace was the nom to protect the rest of us peasants.

dont overfil
2nd Jun 2011, 12:20
There was a VFR flight into Dundee last week which was refused entry into the temporary class D during a royal visit. Told to stay outside 7dme. 20 minutes later still refused entry.
Is this a normal proceedure?
D.O.
PS Fisbang, this was notamed!

dagowly
9th Jun 2011, 22:02
Its down to the control authority whether they allow aircraft to transit inbound/across their airspace, so pretty much yeh, they are allowed to do it.

gg17
30th Apr 2022, 11:04
Can anyone point me towards the list of which Royal callsign signifies which individual is in the aircraft? I know that, in addition to Rainbow, there is Claret, Kitty[hawk], Leopard, and Sparrowhawk, in addition to the 32 Sq Northolt and Ascot callsigns, but was wonder who was what.

There is a brief bit in the AIP (ENR), at 4.4.4.1 (https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2022-04-21-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html), but this only covers the main ones and Leopard.

Thanks