PDA

View Full Version : jet sim for practice?

Pilot Pete
24th Dec 2000, 18:31
Looking for a cheap(anything if not!) sim for a bit of practice before a check ride at the ATP Academy on the 11th Jan. I've tried the Trident at Biggin but unfortunately it's not available for two weeks from the 7th. The check is on a 737 EFIS but anything would do for a bit of practice. What's at Gatwick? Expensive? Any info much appreciated, telephone numbers especially.
Thanks one and all.

HongKongPhooey
24th Dec 2000, 23:10
Try European Air Charter at Bournemouth, l1011 and 727 at reasonable rates, numbers in the book.

Failing that, Raw Data is running sim days at Biggin 28,29 & 30. Might be of some help!

Pilot Pete
24th Dec 2000, 23:25
Thanks HKP, I'll give 'em a try.

Looking at GECAT earlier but I think I've run out of time b4 Crimbo.....anybody any idea what they charge for an hour plus an instructor at Gatwick for the 733?

tedbaker
26th Dec 2000, 17:40
Pilot Pete
Hi, Haven't got any info on cheap sim rides I'm affraid except an HS 125 at GE capital at Gatwick will cost about £350 for 2hrs with an instructor. I have however got the ATP phase 3 coming up and presuming you've done it, was wondering whether you'd mind e-mailing me with some useful tips or questions I can expect to be asked in the interview and tech papers.
Cheers matey Happy New Year etc

Ted

Buffy Summers
27th Dec 2000, 01:12
I would highly recommend getting some time on a B737 sim if you can, preferably with someone else, hopefully another ATP candidate to share costs, otherwise perhaps another pilot?
I used GECAT at Gatwick, they certainyl used to do an "unemployed pilots rate" for the sim there, and we used the old 737-200 sim.
Trevor Newton used to be the man to contact.
Try calling GECAT or BALPA or even IPA.
They provided us with the instructor at this special rate, we ran through the profile ATP had given us, and it was very worthwhile. We also spent time away from the sim running through the timing of everything, the standard calls and actions. It meant that in the sim test we were both relatively relaxed and it made such a difference I am sure it helped me to pass.
If you need any more help or info mail me.

Pilot Pete
28th Dec 2000, 02:59
Thanks Buffy and ted......I spoke to GECAT today.....pricey for an individual but probably worth it ultimately so looks like that's where it will be. I may put another post in to see if there are any takers for a session at Gatwick. (ooh er phnarr, phnarr!)

esreverlluf
28th Dec 2000, 04:57
When I had a sim ride coming up I a few years ago, I went answered one of those "Try your hand at landing an airliner" type adverts - explained what I wanted and why I was there to the instructor and a couple of hours later I was good enough to pass the sim ride! Very understanding and useful. Won't say who or where here!

justinzider
30th Dec 2000, 05:04
Pete,

Hope I'm not too late but try phoning Oxford Air Training at Kidlington. Good 737 EFIS sim there. 45 mins should be enough for about 140GBP. Instructors are familiar with most of the check ride profiles too.

Pilot Pete
31st Dec 2000, 17:12
Thanks justinzider and everyone else, I've taken the plunge at GECAT on the 10th Jan...so fingers crossed.