PDA

View Full Version : VFR circuit joining procedure

fly4fud
24th Jul 2001, 21:50
Here's one for any instructor or ATCO:
The other day, flying as pax with a friend, we came in to land at a controlled airfield (LSZN, but I don't think it is relevant) that has one concrete strip paralleled by a grass one. Direction is 26/08. Runway 26R concrete for us. We were nicely positionned for a straight-in, but for a reason known only to the ATCO, we were told to join and report downwind for the rwy. My friend proceeded overhead the field and then turned left to join mid-downwind for the LH pattern. The approach chart (IAL) does not indicate anything else than a left pattern for this runway. Had I been at the controls, I would joined L downwind after having circumnavigated the CTR to the S and done a R turn into the downwind.

Any ideas on what is the general procedure for a controlled field, thanks guys :cool:

Code Blue
25th Jul 2001, 01:58
The Canadian AIP has a nice diagram for joining controlled circuits which implies that ATC will be cooperative and give you a sensible place to join :D

If there were to be some problem with an apparent 'simple' join, ie straight in - for whatever reason - the 'Book' infers that an overhead join to mid downwind is the safe alternate for just about any spot in the circuit.

Assuming that you were lined up with 26 and the appropriate airport directory entry (CFS or local variant) said nothing to the contrary, I would have turned Right to the upwind side, crossed midfield at circuit height and turned left downwind.

Also the AIP does authorise right turns to join downwind, so I suppose it would depend on my position and heading with respect to the field at the time the call was received, and my degree of unease. In any event, I would announce my intention with respect to routing &c to the Tower for the benefit of anyone else around.

CB (flier of light metal)

low n' slow
26th Jul 2001, 00:02
I agree with our canadian friend here. When approaching a controlled aerodrome, ATC are supposed to provide clearances such as "cleared left downwind for rwy xx". That way, you always know. If this information is not provided, you can always ask ATC which pattern is in use "please confirm left hand circuit for rwy xx".
When arriving at an uncontrolled aerodrome, the standard is to pass overhead (and report over the radio!) and join a right-hand circuit starting at mid-downwind.
I might be wrong on this, but these are the procedures as I remeber them. And for uncontrolled aerodromes, allways report intentions in blind broadcast, you never know, someone might be up there with you!
good luck/lns